Milky Pond Water

Reaction score
We installed a small, 50 gallon, pond last year. All last summer and fall it was clear and running well. Over the winter I noticed it was developing string algae, so I purchased something to clear that up. This spring it started to turn green, and it kept turning green until it was resembling something nuclear. We tried everything we found online barley extract etc... Finally, last week I added a UV light to the filter. The UV light cleared up the algae, but now the water is very milky in appearance. What can we do to get back to clear water again?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Mike

Adding live plants will help keep the water clear as well as water changes. Do you have fish in your pond? What about a pump?

Also, In something as small as fifty gallons I would skip the additives and just change the water ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have city water because it could be that .Lime scale build up can make water milky

Reaction score
We do have a few plants, both submerged and floating. We did have fish. I am not sure how many survived the algae. I know that not all did. We do have a pump and filter box with both a fine and course filter pad.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plants give off oxygen during the day but use it up at night .Do you have a liquid test kit like API

Reaction score
We installed a small, 50 gallon, pond last year. All last summer and fall it was clear and running well. Over the winter I noticed it was developing string algae, so I purchased something to clear that up. This spring it started to turn green, and it kept turning green until it was resembling something nuclear. We tried everything we found online barley extract etc... Finally, last week I added a UV light to the filter. The UV light cleared up the algae, but now the water is very milky in appearance. What can we do to get back to clear water again?
Sounds like a lot of trouble for such a tiny pond. I'm guessing you don't do regular water changes???

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't add any chemicals to the pond to clear algae. It may cover the symptoms and not solve your problem. And barley doesn't do anything. Do you have water circulation? You need a mechanical filter for your pond.

Ask a Question