Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1567712513980.gif
@Phaewryn
Colleen is more apt to see your post if you type @callingcolleen1
Just a heads up for ya :smuggrin:
She will see it now tho as I just typed it in for ya.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Been so busy running to my mother's twice per day to give her the CBD oil. My mom's alive thanks to CBD oil.
I use two 300 watt heater for 80 gallon pond, during winter and cover well with a plastic cold frame and then blankets and snow over that. Little gentle stream runs all winter. Your stream is bigger drop so I would only run stream half way down, move hose during winter to lower level if you can during winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Been so busy running to my mother's twice per day to give her the CBD oil. My mom's alive thanks to CBD oil.
I use two 300 watt heater for 80 gallon pond, during winter and cover well with a plastic cold frame and then blankets and snow over that.

Thank you very much for that recommendation. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's illness. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is very appreciated. I'm thinking a piece of 2" thick R-10 pinkboard (http://commercial.owenscorning.com/products/foam/foamular-thermapink-18/) might work as the cover, unless some light needs to get through?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thank you very much for that recommendation. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's illness. Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is very appreciated. I'm thinking a piece of 2" thick R-10 pinkboard (http://commercial.owenscorning.com/products/foam/foamular-thermapink-18/) might work as the cover, unless some light needs to get through?
It's better to have light shining though. I use plastic and this year I will stick bubble wrap over plastic as well so pond will not be in darkness unless extremely cold, then I will cover with blankets and snow. Some plants cannot winter well if dark for too long.
My mother had stage 7 Dementia and I have reversed and she now talks well and knows what's going on. She reads the paper and tells me the news. There was a time last year before CBD oil, and she was completely catatonic and could not talk, eat or respond. She eats very well now and I am so proud of her now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
It's better to have light shining though. I use plastic and this year I will stick bubble wrap over plastic as well so pond will not be in darkness unless extremely cold, then I will cover with blankets and snow. Some plants cannot winter well if dark for too long.
My mother had stage 7 Dementia and I have reversed and she now talks well and knows what's going on. She reads the paper and tells me the news. There was a time last year before CBD oil, and she was completely catatonic and could not talk, eat or respond. She eats very well now and I am so proud of her now

I don't currently have any plants. Would I need to have plants for oxygenation purposes for the fish?

I wonder if a waterproof grow light on a timer under the cover would be helpful or just create a nasty algae problem to deal with in the spring? My "reef" aquarium light over my freshwater tank caused me quite a bit of algae issues for a while until I figured out not to turn it on for more than 6 hours a day.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I don't currently have any plants. Would I need to have plants for oxygenation purposes for the fish?

I wonder if a waterproof grow light on a timer under the cover would be helpful or just create a nasty algae problem to deal with in the spring? My "reef" aquarium light over my freshwater tank caused me quite a bit of algae issues for a while until I figured out not to turn it on for more than 6 hours a day.
A tank looks Fuzzy and green with alage but one does not notice the alage in a pond as long as it's not too long and out of control.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The more I think about this (and the more leaves I dig out of the pond), the more I think someone needs to start manufacturing clear dome pond covers. It would not be that hard to do if one had an acrylic molding plant for making things like window well covers.

Ask a Question