More baby fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was hoping my new baby fish problem was solved with all the hungry shubunkins I now have but it seems they missed a few. I found about 6 that are very tiny and some about 1/2” long. What size do they have to get before the adults stop eating them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have been on the lookout for babies. I don't feed the fish regularly and they are always on the hunt for something to eat. That has worked well in my pond for population control. It seems like somehow, nature keeps them at about 20 to 25 fish. Every year, a couple of them die and a couple of babies manage to escape the hungry hoard!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I currently have about 20 some and really do not need/want any more but I can not kill them if they survive so those that miss the eating machines do get a chance. Just figuring if I saw 6 there are probably many, many more in hiding. I just wonder how big they must get to be safe from the hungry mouths.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No frogs so I guess my pond is headed to over crowding soon.

You need my snakey..............biggy
IMG_4220 (2).JPG

Or lil one
IMG_4172 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi will gorge on their eggs, but once hatched they don't touch them. I know my bull frog killed birds last summer, so have to assume it would eat small fish. I drain the pond each Sept and round up all the off spring and take them to a plant nursery with a pond on their property.....with their permission.

So far this year my koi have not spawned. They still might or maybe they're getting older, not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I had a southern black racer at the pond for about a month. They do not eat fish but did give my lizards a scare. Two lost their tales but lived to grow new ones. Those big water snakes definitely eat fish. Not sure about copper heads. One tagged my left hand when I was young and fascinated with snakes. I recovered from the bite but still have constant burning on the back of my hand where he got me. Doc says it is nerve damage from the bite.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My koi will gorge on their eggs, but once hatched they don't touch them. I know my bull frog killed birds last summer, so have to assume it would eat small fish. I drain the pond each Sept and round up all the off spring and take them to a plant nursery with a pond on their property.....with their permission.

So far this year my koi have not spawned. They still might or maybe they're getting older, not sure.
it seems at least one of my shubunkins spawns every week. The males never get a rest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
it seems at least one of my shubunkins spawns every week. The males never get a rest.
I used to have shubunkin and comets. Such beautiful fish, but they were always spawning and bred with the koi....producing hybrid koi. I found a gold fish rescue ( this was years ago ) and donated them to it........I think it's closed down now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I only have shubunkins and am still struck by how the babies are all different. Some have the long flowing fins of my original five and others have more of the standard comet fins. I am looking forward to seeing what the new babies look like as there were many more males in the mix this year. One male is just really cool with real black black and some blue. Nature is so cool!

Ask a Question