More Bog Construction Questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's my first winter with the bog. I'm in zone 6B, northeastern part of Pennsylvania.

Pump is a Tetra DHP-3600 (3600+ GPH) and it's suspended at about 18" from the surface of the water. There's 20 feet of 1-1/2" flex PVC and about 24 feet of 2" pvc. The bog is 12" of river stone. The spillway is about 10" wide.

So far, I still have it running. I'm keeping an eye on it daily as the weather gets colder.

I think it will be OK as long as the water in the spillway doesn't completely freeze over causing the bog to backup and overflow.

I do have a pond deicer at the bog end of the pond. I also have two air stones running.

We've had a couple of cold spells with nights in the teens (F), but not for any great lengths of time. One night it was a low of 13F. This week our highs during the day are in the 20's and the teens (F) at night. I checked the spillway and it's fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The flex 1 1/2" feeds 2" pvc?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The flex 1 1/2" feeds 2" pvc?
Yep. I wanted my bog manifolds to be 2".
The pump output is 1-1/2".
From the pump I have 1-1/2" black schedule 40 flex PVC running along the bottom of the pond, up over the wall between the pond and bog, then switches to 2" ridgid PVC for all the bog piping.

I used a rubber Fernco coupling to go from flex 1-1/2" to solid 1-1/2", then I increased it to 2".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmm did you just want a flex joint between them or would a hard fitting just not fit the flex pipe as odd as it looks even the KInk free tubbing excepted pvc cement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hmmm did you just want a flex joint between them or would a hard fitting just not fit the flex pipe as odd as it looks even the KInk free tubbing excepted pvc cement.
I used the Fernco coupling for easy disconnection.
If I need to shut the bog down, the bog water might siphon back (through the pump) into the pond, emptying the bog. The bog should be left full for the winter.
The Fernco coupling is located at the highest point. It can be loosened to break the vacuum or it can be removed completely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I need to shut the bog down, the bog water might siphon back (through the pump) LOOK INTO A VACCUM BREAKER its a reverse check valve , when the pump is on it pushes the flap closed and when power goes off the flap opens and lets air in breaking the syphon into the pond, emptying the bog. The bog should be left full for the winter. agreed
The Fernco coupling is located at the highest point. It can be loosened to break the vacuum or it can be removed completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I remember reading here that some people drill a small hole as a vacuum breaker. I'm guessing water will shoot out of that hole while the pump is running. As long as it is shooting into the pond or bog, there won't be any water loss.

I'll keep it the way it is for now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's how I do my bog. I tried a check valve, didn't work. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the pipe going down into the gravel. Water does spray some but I put a stone over it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Iused the drill hole in my aquariums and had to check it from time to time as the hole would eventualy plug with much and algae Like mrsclem said a 1/4" hole is probably large enough to keep it from clogging

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had my lines leave the pump then 45 down into the bottom of the bog. With our slope the pipes are a tiny bit higher than the top of the bog. That way the bog stays full of water.

Even my pump on land is lower than the pond, I had to build up the lower slope side of the pond and bog a lot to make a level spot.

Ask a Question