More new pond setup questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok, so while I've learned a lot from my original intro post and from reading lots of others, I'm finding I have much more to learn though. For starters my pond is 1600 gallons, 6 ft deep, in full sun and surrounded by trees and shrubs (already found out tons of leaves and things end up in the pond). This will be a koi pond. In addition to the waterfall and filter I want to add a uv sterilizer, an in pond skimmer and some kind of in pond bottom drain. Also, i want to run a spitter. I'm thinking about using an "EasyPro PS4E Eco-Series Prelude Pond Skimmer for Pump" and using a separate smaller pump for the uv as I shouldn't need to run this 24/7 and it will be easy to remove.

My biggest question is how to best accomplish this. I would prefer to use a single submersible pump to run the skimmer, some kind of bottom drain and the spitter. I've read things like "it will puree the fish poop" or something like that if I do this. Any thoughts?

I should add that I'm trying to keep conscious of energy use and cost.

Thanks

Ask a Question