More Wild Mustangs!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Went down to our property last weekend and ran into a couple different herds of wild mustangs.. They are beautiful! I love them.

The stud on the left in the first and second picture is one of the best looking horses I have ever seen. He is a handsom devil! The first 2 pics were taken when the horses were about 40 feet away from us. The momma and baby (from last year) continued to eat while pappa staired us down. The third pic was taken in a different location and when they saw us they took off running. But the alpha male started running toward my pick-up. These boys don't mess around when it comes to their wimminz and babies. :)

DSCN2498.jpg

DSCN2497.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would love to move down there and have a horse just like that handsome stud! The BLM does annual roundups and auctions off a small percentage of them to keep the population down.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful horses and maybe you can put in your bid for that horse.......who knows you might get lucky! Makes me sad to think they will break up their lovely family tho :sad: Guess you better take them all :razz:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree J.W. LOL That baby is going to grow up to be a very good looking horse too.

But I have been doing some research and their family units don't generally last that long. It is kind of sad. As soon as the baby boys become men they start fighting for females. The stronger the male the more females they will get but they always have to fight new males to keep them. Sometimes the fights end in death or very bad wounds. :( Once a male looses his female/females he is forced to be an outcast unless he can fight to win a new family. The outcasts stay within site of the herds as if they are longing for company but are not let near them by the stronger males. Life as a male Mustangs seems very very hard.

I found interesting pictures and stories on this site: http://www.pbase.com...ts/way_out_west

Male horses lives are much like human males... They fight for the ladies, breed and eat. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reaction score
wow I'm a huge horse lover... would love to see something like that with my own eyes... ones day :)

I'll rescue one of them one day. But i don't like the way the BLM does things... :(

Reaction score
Still cannot wrap my head around the fact we have wild horses in the world. That is so cool.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow! I love horses! Thanks for sharing!

BTW, Pecan, what is "high desert zone?" Or maybe I should say, WHERE is this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I live in Salt Lake Valley Utah, Zone 7. Elevation 4100 feet above sea level and approximately 10"-12" of rain a year.

The horses and our property is on the Utah/Nevada border in southern Utah at about 6700 feet above sea level and 8"-10" of rain a year.

High desert :)

Reaction score
I thought that looked close to me! I am in southern Idaho. Have seen several mustang herds going through Nevada as well.

Ask a Question