Wild Mustang Pics and More!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We spent last weekend down on our (the property me, my brother and sister inherited from our grandpa) property. It is very remote, on the Utah/Nevada border a 2 hour drive from the nearest gas station on dirt roads. There are several small ghost towns around and one is just a mile away from our property right on the border (we are about 2 miles from the border on the Utah side). There is nothing and no one out there except wild animals including rattlesnakes, Mt Lions, black bears, coyote and wild mustangs. It is truly the old west. We go down there at least a half dozen times a year and I absolutely love it! There is no place I would rather be.

This time 2 amazing things happened! First as we were driving in we came around a bend where there were wild mustangs standing :) I have seen them before from the distance but never this close. And second we found a lake about a mile away from our property as we were out exploring :) This summer will be much more enjoyable down there with water to play in :)

Here are some pics:

April2012001.jpg

April2012004.jpg

April2012003.jpg

April2012002.jpg

Looking down on the lake from above. BTW, we call this a lake in the high desert ;).

April2012006.jpg

Me standing by the lake

April2012007.jpg

Another lake pic

April2012009.jpg

And this one is looking back toward our property with one of the old buildings from the ghost town in the pic

DSCN1851.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I just love the wild, one thing I miss being out here in the east. One of the reasons we bought a house out in farm fields and woods, we have some wildlife.

I would call that a lake even here, nice looking. Any fish in it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very nice! I just love the wild, one thing I miss being out here in the east. One of the reasons we bought a house out in farm fields and woods, we have some wildlife.

I would call that a lake even here, nice looking. Any fish in it?

Not sure about the fish. It seems pretty deep though. My husband and BIL will probably try fishing it this summer, but my sister and I are much better at laying on blow up floaties which is our plan :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Looks beautiful! What a wonderful place to get away! So is the lake on you property as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks beautiful! What a wonderful place to get away! So is the lake on you property as well?

Nope the lake is on BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land. For the most part, that part of the country is BLM, but there is a small area just east of the lake with private property. We have 1 of about 6, 30 acre plots out there that are privately owned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would just love it there! It really is beautiful, and so cool that you were able to get that close to the mustangs!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh great pics 5th pic looks like a blue patch posted on the pic .It almost looks out of place ,the water that is .Horses sure are watching you ,guess they are wondering what you are doing .Making sure you are not tainting there land .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
gosh great pics 5th pic looks like a blue patch posted on the pic .It almost looks out of place ,the water that is .Horses sure are watching you ,guess they are wondering what you are doing .Making sure you are not tainting there land .

The black one had eyes on us the whole time. The others ran off and he just stood his ground. Pretty sure he is the boss. And they are lucky to have such a concerned boss :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep sounds like the boss holding his ground and protecting his space and his family .The cabin I saw in the one pic is amazing .Shows how old growth trees are stronger than any wood you get today .Stands anything for a couple hundred years

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The black one had eyes on us the whole time. The others ran off and he just stood his ground. Pretty sure he is the boss. And they are lucky to have such a concerned boss :)
Actually, the Boss Hoss is probably a mare. Most herds have a mare doing the day-to-day law-and-order bossing-around type chores.
John
P.S.; just like most marriages!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Amen to that last comment there John,lol!

Love your pix pecan and the horses are beautiful! Are you and your family going to build anything there or just enjoy it the way it is?
Bet your grandpa loved it there!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Amen to that last comment there John,lol!

Love your pix pecan and the horses are beautiful! Are you and your family going to build anything there or just enjoy it the way it is?
Bet your grandpa loved it there!

My grandpa did love it. The only thing there is a hand built rock BBQer he built about 30 years ago. The reason it was left to us is because of the sentimental value and we are really the only ones in the family that feel that way about it and actually went out there with Poppy (my grandpa). The first time I went out there after he passed I kind of lost it a little when I saw his BBQer. He meant the world to me and I miss him dearly.

We are talking about putting up some sort of structure, but it is difficult since it is so remote. It would be very hard to get equipment out there. If we built a structure we were thinking about building with cinder block or concrete because of the risk of wild fires in the area. But for now it is tent camping :)

We had a guy come out to see about drilling a well. I guess there are a few in the area. The most shallow is 300 feet down and the deepest is over a 1000 feet down. On average it's about 600 feet to hit water.

This is the BBQer he built:

DSCN0858.jpg

Ask a Question