addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hummm if never bigger than 2 inches then it sounds like mosquito fish, but never saw any but brown in az pond

Reaction score
The brown one looks like goldfish. The orange and white look like rosy reds. The brown ones are to short and fat to be misquito fish. They are usually long and narrow.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree with KennethO, the brown aren't mosquito fish, they appear to be regular plain colored goldfish, these are usually culled as feeder fish by breeders, the small guys look to be rosy reds to me too.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. Well I guess I don't have mosquito fish, thought the brown ones were but I am not sure they are goldfish either because they never get any bigger than about 2" max. Is there a type of GF that stays small?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
No there isn't that I'm aware of. Is there anyway you can catch one and get a pic for a side veiw shot?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These are a little less than half the size of the full grown ones. I couldn't catch one of the bigger ones they are very fast. I will try again later to get one of the bigger guys.

Attachments

• P1020991.jpg
    P1020991.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 241
  • P1020992.jpg
    P1020992.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 280
  • P1020993.jpg
    P1020993.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 267

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've been looking at several books, I've narrowed down the search by the the size and location for local species. You said 2" could the largest push the 3" max mark? What part of the state are you in? north south east west or center? Are there any colors that that are noticable in person that aren't noticable by the pic, Fins primarily?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
also, does the mouth turn upward or is it straight in front? nose pointed or rounded looks rounded from above but more pointed in you hand by the pics.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fishin see if these photos are any help. Sorry they aren't the best photos but were taken with me laying on the bridge leaning under the bridge becuase they don't won't come out. Still haven't caught one of the little buggers.

Attachments

• P1030005.jpg
    P1030005.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 247
  • P1030006.jpg
    P1030006.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 302
  • P1030008.jpg
    P1030008.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 296

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Still appears to be a common gold fish but it could also be pugnose minnow or mimic shiner. Both are local to your area and are in thet size range your describing.
new program I got I was able to get a close-up cropped but still not a whole lot of help. The books I have show mostly side shots taken in a aquarium or water filled photo box. None from above that's what is making identifying the hardest.

Attachments

• P1030008.jpg
    P1030008.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 270

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fishing thanks for trying to identify them. I live in northern ky, basically Cincinnati. Later this week I am going to build a Minnow trap and try to catch the ones In the big pond, it is possible that the ones I got pics r goldfish because they all come from the big pond and somehow manage to get into this creek. If they keep getting bigger than theaters In the big pond I will know. I will see about trying to trap the little guys.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They look like the little brown ones that I have, some have showed up with the gold fish and shubunkin spawning. When you catch one they look just like a gold fish, golden brown coloring. I have heard they may color up as they age, they may not. No way I can catch them in my pond, without draining, so they are safe at this moment. If the brown colored ones don't take over I figure it does not hurt to have some.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
I've got a sure fire way to decrease the amount of mosquito fish in a pond...

One word: TURTLE
(a single red eared slider will eat all of your mosquito fish.)

and quite possibly your young koi too... :-( The small turtle that I had in my koi pond didn't bother the koi.. they're too big and it was quite small.. but it did go after all the mosquito fish and platys that were in there to eat mosquitos... and I've got only 1 small mosquito fish left in there. I have a friend who uses her turtle to reduce the amount of mosquito fish in her lily pond when they get over run. She's got 3-4 smallish ponds and she rotates her turtle around.. She swears by it.. (and now I do too.)

Ask a Question