Moss and propagation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have a very old burned down house on my property, there all kinds of moss has grown over the decaying wood (some of it turned to compost and moss grows on it), I take the moss of the sides or wherever it grows and put it on rocks.

Moss naturally occurs around the pond on soil, it is in pretty much full shade except some small sun that it gets in the morning and dappled light later in the day. It seems really good to soften the stone and makes it a hundred times more natural, especially when in shade there is much less to grow compared to being in partsun and sun.

Is there anything special to it besides slapping it on the rocks? I guess when you take the compost or decaying wood you don't need to much, but just bare moss, anything else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old scout saying "Moss grows on the north side of a tree" is because that's the side in shade and mostly dampest. I don't think moss takes up any nutrients from its host (not sure if host is the right word) so just keep it damp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There's online instructions to adhere it to rocks with buttermilk. I tried just slapping it on and the buttermilk method - the buttermilk method failed :)
20230524_123337.jpg

Attachments

• P1010506.JPG
    P1010506.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a very old burned down house on my property, there all kinds of moss has grown over the decaying wood (some of it turned to compost and moss grows on it), I take the moss of the sides or wherever it grows and put it on rocks.

Moss naturally occurs around the pond on soil, it is in pretty much full shade except some small sun that it gets in the morning and dappled light later in the day. It seems really good to soften the stone and makes it a hundred times more natural, especially when in shade there is much less to grow compared to being in partsun and sun.

Is there anything special to it besides slapping it on the rocks? I guess when you take the compost or decaying wood you don't need to much, but just bare moss, anything else?
Moss is very picky believe it or not. What ever light it had the amount of wind even can be an issue. Your also better off not watering it so much if you have chlorinated water. and if the moss was thriving on decaying wood that's where you should put it. I too LOVEEEEEE MOSS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My experience with moss is that it's relatively easy to grow as long as it has access to enough moisture and shade. In my case, the pond is in mostly shade for the first half of the day, transitioning to sun in the afternoon. My issue in keeping moss seems to be more related to birds (mainly crows) tearing it up along the waterfall in their search for insects.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i should add keep the area that feeds into the pond shallow it will give more push to the water circulation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if you haven't done so go to my show case and look at the second part the build

Ask a Question