Mossy log in barrel pond?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey there guys!
My names jacob, im new here, because i have a nagging question that i cant seem to clarify through my research. I’ve found a lovely log. Its relatively light, nice green moss adorns its, and it is a damp log, so i assume its starting to rot? Anyway, I really want to lean it in my barrel pond, ass a feature, I’ve read about tannins, and how it can leech into the water and such, but I’ve also read somewhere that a rotting log creates the perfect ecosystem in a pond? Im very thrown! Please give me some tips and suggestions!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
its relatively large, i dont know the specifica, if i had to guess maybe 20-30 gallons.
And how big is this log?

My concern is that you say a rotting log can help create an ecosystem in a pond. This is correct, but my guess is that this is in reference to a large, natural pond rather than a small container pond. Basically, you have an aquarium — very limited space. In a man-made pond, even a larger, several hundred or thousand gallon pond, you have to be careful what you add. Tannins aren’t the problem in this case, but rotting, decomposing material. Maybe I’m wrong, and someone else can give you better information.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @JakeO !

I LOLd when you said your barrel pond was "relatively large" at 20 or 30 gallons. That isn't a pond by definition, so I wouldn't try to apply pond principles. Small container water gardens can be more difficult to manage than large ones actually - a tiny shift can create ripples of change. But if your mossy log is in scale with your "pond" I'd say go for it. I've never heard the rotting log adds to the eco-system theory, but nature has ways of handling all kinds of things.

And I'm not criticizing your pond size at all, to be clear - I also have a patio "pond". Mine is more like 40 gallons, but we love it as much as our big pond! They are fun additions!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1607967926661.gif
@JakeO

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Welcome @JakeO !

I LOLd when you said your barrel pond was "relatively large" at 20 or 30 gallons. That isn't a pond by definition, so I wouldn't try to apply pond principles. Small container water gardens can be more difficult to manage than large ones actually - a tiny shift can create ripples of change. But if your mossy log is in scale with your "pond" I'd say go for it. I've never heard the rotting log adds to the eco-system theory, but nature has ways of handling all kinds of things.

And I'm not criticizing your pond size at all, to be clear - I also have a patio "pond". Mine is more like 40 gallons, but we love it as much as our big pond! They are fun additions!
Haha, well i mean its a large barrel, i just took a wild guess really.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wouldn't place the log in the water but if you can get it so its just in the edge if the barrel enough to keep it damp it may do well without adding to much nutrients to the water. I t is very important with most moss that you duplicate where you found it at your home in order for it to do well. if you find moss in deep shade growing on roc k dont try to grow it in the sun on dead decomposing wood. you may get lucky but id bet against it

Reaction score
Country
United States
One good thing about your pond is, it is small enough to do relatively easy partial water changes, if need be.

Have fun with it.

Ask a Question