Moving heavy liners without a small mob of friends.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Back when I was a working stiff I could ask a few friends to stop by and for the cost of pizza and beer I could get most anything moved.

We moved and the people I do know here are too old to be abused in this manner.

So does anyone have any experiance on moving liners without the mob? I do have a small tractor with a front end loader and 3 pt hitch if that helps.

I have been thinking that maybe if one folds the liner instead of rolling it that on might be able to put straps under the bundle and lift it with the load.

Any better ideas ?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my liner was only a 20 x 20. so i shouldered it back to the pond area. rolled it out flat, and fluffed it like a blanket. when you get some air under it, they move alot easier. i just pulled it across the pond hole. ( the fluff and run).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine was 50 something by 37 something. It came on a pallet with one edge exposed, with arrows saying which way was what length, we unfolded it leaving that edge at the beginning and just started working it out and into the pond. honey and I

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
One is 25x50 the other is slightly wider but not quite as long. Both 45mil EPDM

Your post got me thinking. The web says 3.2 sq feet weighs a lb.

so (25x50)/3.2 = 390 or 400 or so lbs with the minerals stuck to it.

The 2nd one is maybe 500 lbs.

My little loader tractor is speced to lift 450lbs. So it may work if I can get it folded in a small enough package to lift.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I figured out how to do this.

First roll the liner up. Then start pulling on the end furthest from the pond in the direction of the pond. The ground will support the weight so you really only have to overcome the friction between the ground and the liner. Dirt lumps that roll under the liner help a bit.

As you pull the liner will form a U shape then straighten out. When it does go to the far end and repeat the process. This way you are only moving the entire liner a small fraction of the time. If you can't pull the entire liner just pull on the shortest end going back and forth between sides of the roll.

2013-06-13 09.43.36.jpg2013-06-13 09.44.51.jpg2013-06-13 09.46.22.jpg2013-06-13 10.13.56.jpg

If you are doing a formal pond roll the liner up starting with a short edge so the roll will be this shorter dimension. Once you have the roll in the pond position it at a right angle to its final position and unroll it bunching up the line as you go.

Once the liner is unrolled you can pull and tug it into its final position.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm more interested in this pond, thats going to be a good sized one. And you must have got a good deal finding two used liners that size?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
This pond was first put in 8 years ago as a holding pond to accept fish and plants during our move. It was never supposed to be here this long. The liner was new at that time.

The other large liner is the liner we had at the old place,

What I am doing now is not unlike working one of these puzzles.

slide-puzzle-picture-games2.png

In time the holding pond liner will end up on the other side of the yard. The other liner will be in the area where the holding pond was but with an irregular shape to fit the liner as it was cut back at the old place.

This is an image of the holding pond. At this point we had most of the the plants out.

2013-05-07 15.01.03.jpg

Ask a Question