Moving Koi?

Reaction score
I am new here, not to ponding. I have 9, 8yr old Koi I will be moving them next weekend to there new home. ( I moved a few towns away). Dug the pond, got the filter built today. Been adding old pond water to the new pond. Have a cover ready for when they get here. But my question is, has anyone moved koi to a new pond. Been reading alot online about this. So many different answers.

I am using large Ice chest's. I have air pumps on there way, (just in case). Catching and releasing I am concerned about. My koi are very large. 18' to 22' inches. Any ideas?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.

I do Koi Rescue here in So. Calif. Some of the koi are as big as 24". I transport them as far as 50 miles without air, only the water they came out of. I use a large ice chest and a plastic tub. In the the tub I use 55 gallon plastic liner that I can tie the top on so they cannot jump out on the trip home.

When I get home, I start introducing my pond water into theirs and after an hour I gently lift, by hand, the koi into my pond or tank.

I have never lost a Koi or had one go into shock.

Reaction score
Thank you. I saw a rescue last nite from AZ. It appeared that is how they did it as well. That helps alot.

Do you use a soft mesh koi net?

Reaction score
That would be a hugh help. I have been touching every fabric I see to find the right feel. Always to rough. I look forward to seeing that. I can make almost anything out of a picture. :lol:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Go to my website, there is a link there to my personal email and send me an email. That is the only way I will be able to get it to you where I know you will get it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i catch mine with a net , but dont lift them out of the water with it. while still in the water i coaxe them into a pillow case (black). when they cant see it sets them at ease. i give a few seconds in the pillow case before lifting them out. i set the pillow case in a tote/bin filled with enough water to cover them and move it between my ponds. lift out the pillow case with the fish still inside put it in the pond and release. this is for my larger koi....the ones that are small enough i put in bags just like buying them!....i do this twice a year going inside in the fall and back outside in the spring. i would do just as Doctor Dave described if i was traveling with them. same idea, not only will it keep them inside,the dark of the cooler and bag will help set the fish at ease for the drive.

Reaction score
The breeder that I buy from uses about 10 – 15(?) gallon heavy plastic bags and comparatively little water. The bag is then filled with oxygen, the top twisted and sealed with rubber bands. I am less than an hour away but he tells me this would work to transport fish from southern OK to Baytown, TX. Trust you had or will have good success in your move

Reaction score
So far so good. All Koi arrived and are now resting after the move. We used ice chest and tots. I posted a bit ago about our move. Covered them and waiting till this storm pass's to remove the dark sheeting and allow them to see where they are.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Ask a Question