My 1st pond err....

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first pond. I bought nearly everything from Lowes for a lack of knowing any better about this neat hobby did'nt find this place till long after the fact.

To make a long story short though I'm in deep on this one When I first got married 16 years ago I had a single mans apartment with a spare bedroom dedicated to fish tanks and took them all to new place with wife in tow.

Needless to say after leaky tanks 2 foot snake heads flopping on the floor in the middle of the night I was told NO MORE FISH..

Well here we are bought a new house and wife gave me the green light on a fish pond and she didnt have to say it twice. I was off and out the door to get started before she said the word go... In the end I built a pavestone/techoblock patio and planted a 14x9 pond right next to it. My daughter put 2 turtles from pet store in the first day of it having water and now we are up too 2 turtles 9 butterfly koi 2 comets and 1 mystery fish that just appeared in the pond two days after the local plant harvest of a local lake.

FYI the mystery fish has been Identified now as a Nothern White Perch..

Im running over to photography section to post up some pics of the new Oasis in my yard if your curious. Just love the ones Ive seen here.

Talk to you all soon Bruce

Reaction score
Welcome Bruce. Your story sounds a bit like mine. I had aquariums most of my teenage and adult life, but as you said, after one too many leaks, the tanks had to go. But the itch remains FOREVER, I think. When my wife decided to renovate the patio, one of the suggestions she had was a waterfall, for ambiance. Well….. the wheels started turning and I thought, “What is a waterfall without a pond?” And….. well, you know the rest. I would love to see the pictures, particularly as your pond dimensions are almost the same as mine. Northern White Perch are not unattractive fish, and do not become very large. They are not as aggressive as would be say a sunfish or bluegill. The turtles would concern me a bit. Do not know what species you have, but some can wreak havoc on plants, others can be fin nippers. Best of luck….. am waiting on the pictures.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum Vertigo,,,lets see what you got:icon_mrgreen:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Bruce. Can't wait to see your photos.

I know your pain on aquariums. I came home today to find 150 baby koi in 1" of water. Fortunately, I didn't lose any.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
good thing the fry are small ...still want a pic of the little fellers

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They didn't smile when I said cheeze, but here you go.

Attachments

• Aug 25th 08 Koi.jpg
    Aug 25th 08 Koi.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 288

Ask a Question