My attempt at 55G filter

Reaction score
small progress. got the check valve read to install with barbed ends to connect to 1 1/2" pond hose. Added a 90 degree elbow to direct water in a circular rotation in the bottom of the barrel.

Attachments

• IMG00064small.jpg
    IMG00064small.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG00066.jpg
    IMG00066.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 281
Reaction score
Did a test today (video) and the water circulation looks really good but I have a bit of a problem. The 1.5" gravity return at the top of the barrel can not drain the barrel as fast as the pump can fill it. The head height is 3' which means the pump pushing 1600GPH.

Either need to add more drains at the top or restrict the pump to less GPH. At 1600 GPH water is only contacting media for < 2 minutes which doesn't seem like enough contact time.

[ame]

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
move up to a 2" return, and slowing the flow would help your filtering out anyways..1600 gph is giving you less than 2 minutes in filtration...or better yet split the flow into 2 barrels for 800 gph per barrel and around 4 minutes in filtration.

Reaction score
You performed your test without any filter media in the barrel it appears...this will provide some resistance to the water flow as well (depending on how much media and what type). In my case it reduced flow nearly 50%.

Reaction score
I tried restricting the flow with a ball valve but I suspect the flow rate was maybe 100gph since the ball valve was almost closed. This is not enough for my liking .

I like Koiguys idea of 2 barrels. I used this article http://s559.photobucket.com/albums/ss34/newday3000/pond filter article/ . I won't repeat the math but with 10 x 24" Koi they produce 8269 mg of ammonia per day and that I need 176 Gallons (or 23 cubic feet of media) assuming correct flow rate and pond volume. 2 x 55G barrels plus 60G water fall basin gives me enough volume to fill with media.

Reaction score
it's hard to see in the video but the swirling action the 90 degree elbow on entry to the bottom of the barrel creates a vortex in the middle and sediment drops out of suspension while spinning around and ends up stuck right in the middle of the vortex. I could see it piling up in the middle.

This worked well given the high GPH entering the bottom of the barrel.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you will find it works even better at a slower rate.. the faster the flow the longer debris stay suspended. slowed down it will settle before rising up into the media. funny.. thats how i used to vaccuum our pool get a whirlpool going.. get every one out till the whirpool stopped and stick the vacccuum in the middle for 10 seconds, done!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When i got my last new pump ...I separated my barrel's to run independent..
All 3 filters get around 750 gal per hr..with a 2" outlet and it stays under control.
I return any extra water back over the waterfall

Reaction score
After reading some responses and some testing of the first drum I built, I've decided to go with solution like DrCase.

2 x 55G drums that run independantly aiming at 750 GPH gravity return but I will be using 2" return at the bottom of the barrel now and 1.5" inlet at the top that is under pressure from the pump. I like this better since I can put a media container at the top for fine particles and access it easily to change it.

this pic shows the check valve which will attach to the 1.5" pond hose from the pump and then be split into 3x 1.5" paths. I plugged the middle one (future use), and hope to get 50% water split between both 1.5" paths one going to each 55 G drum. at 4' head (3' water + 1' from 10' of hose) the pump can push 1400GPH.
DSC02990.jpg

Here is pic of both barrels (first one with new 2" hole and no drain yet), 2nd barrel with top cut off an no holes yet.
DSC02992.jpg

This is new 2" drain that will be plumbed into the bottom of the barrel.
DSC02993.jpg

At 2" diameter gravity return should push 750GPH. I realized to achieve 750GPH gravity return you need a water column above the outlet to create presure with gravity so the barrel should provide 3' head since I changed to a top inlet on the barrel. The run of pond hose adds reduced flow to the gravity return.

I was talking with my brother (mechanical engineer who likes tinkering with anything) suggested a pressurized barrel would elimiante the need to worry about gravity return flow rates and only flow restriction losses from head height. Since I have all winter to tinker, I may get his help on looking at a sealed barrel head design (removable).

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looks good it really makes it easier to work on a filter and keep the other working set up like that

Ask a Question