My First Pond is under way.

Reaction score
As a precaution to someone reading this, just because Quantum didn't have an issue leaving his waterfall going despite ice--I can't recount how many times I've heard of folks not turning off their waterfall and water freezing in such a way that water is able to trickle out and exit the pond following the ice trail.

I do not recommend leaving your waterfall on in zones where you get water freezing or ice. Waterfalls are notorious spots for exiting water during the summer...never mind during a winter freeze. And if something does go wrong, trying to correct a problem like missing water volume in the middle of winter can be devasting to a pond.

Don't take the chance--shut off your falls if your water has any potential of freezing.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
As a precaution to someone reading this, just because Quantum didn't have an issue leaving his waterfall going despite ice--I can't recount how many times I've heard of folks not turning off their waterfall and water freezing in such a way that water is able to trickle out and exit the pond following the ice trail.

I do not recommend leaving your waterfall on in zones where you get water freezing or ice. Waterfalls are notorious spots for exiting water during the summer...never mind during a winter freeze. And if something does go wrong, trying to correct a problem like missing water volume in the middle of winter can be devasting to a pond.

Don't take the chance--shut off your falls if your water has any potential of freezing.

Ice Damming can be a serious issue. Especially in long cold snaps. I check my pond everyday especially during those times that the temps will be below freezeing for long periods.

Reaction score
Quantum where abouts in ohio are you? i am located in fairfield anywhere close to that cause your pond is gorgeous and i would like to see it in person when the weather lets up if possible

Reaction score
This weekend was great to get some cleanup done. Back flushed the filter and thinned some of the watercelery from the top of my filter. Re planted all my pots removing the clay and replacing with pea gravel. All the fish seem to have made it through the winter. I did find one in the filter when I was cleaning it out. I can only assume that some eggs got sucked up and it was a lone survivor. I am sure he loves all the new found space of the main pond.

Started Barley Extract treatments hoping to keep the string algae in check this year. I am planning on adding more plants once the water warms up some. I believe I need more to get the pond balance right.

Chomping at the bit to get started on modifications but gonna have to wait a couple more weeks. Looks like rain in the forecast for the next week or so.

Reaction score
Well. Drained about 50% of water out. Expanded the plant shelves and made sure they were level and about 3inches deeper. Got everything put back together. Filled pond back up. Whoo Hoo!!!!

Woke up next morning and pond had lost 6inches of water. :confused:

Checked for holes couldn't find any. Tore edge apart to look behind liner to see if I could find wet area to narrow down the search.
Found problem. Liner had folded down at one of the folds. So liner edge was too low. Pulled liner back up repositioned fold and we are back in business.

Will try to post some new pictures this week. The water celery that I started in the skippy filter survived the winter and already is doing very well. I believe it will have the filter hidden by Mothers day.

Reaction score
A couple newer pictures of the pond.

Attachments

• Pond Top 052210.jpg
    Pond Top 052210.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 286
  • Pond Lower 2010.jpg
    Pond Lower 2010.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 282
  • Pond 052210.jpg
    Pond 052210.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 318