First unhappy fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, I named one of the fish Nellie Clampitt because it's a Nervous Nellie and is sometimes a little clamped up. I was thinking it was a stress or perhaps spawning issue.

Water is fine and other fishie friends are happy and frisky.

This fish appears healthy as far as how it looks -- but not how it acts. Eyes look fine. Fins look great and so do scales. No bloating or misshapen areas. Still eating fine.

It has found a place to the side of the waterfall. It gets down between a couple of rocks and just sits there in the strong current.

Next steps? If it is stressed, I don't want to traumatize it further by netting and relocating. I doubt I could catch it anyway.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I used to have aquariums (aquaria?) but am new to ponding and goldfish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This single fish could have been traumatized by something at most any time. If it is eating, swimming, and shows no infectious manifestations I would just leave it be. Quarantining it at this point will only traumatize (stress) it more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Thanks! That's what I thought also. Good to have verification from someone with experience!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'd love to know why it is drawn to the area with strong current. It is less visible from the surface there -- but the cave would be even better. Maybe the flow of water is soothing? Who can tell with fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK folks. The Saga of Nellie continues.

(For pronoun consistency, I'm calling her a she. I have no idea if male or female.) But she was wedged in between the rocks again for a long time today. When I fed the rest of the crew, she stayed put till near the end of the "meal." When she came out, she swam kind of frenetically. There was a desperation to it. She ate a few pellets. In between, I got the sense that her tail was slowly sinking down. She would right herself, then slooowwly the tail would go down. She is now back wedged into the rocks.

I wonder if this is a swim bladder problem? Maybe being between the rocks gives her a sense of stability that she's missing when she is adrift?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only time I've had fish with sinking problems like you describe were a batch of red rosies I bought infected with saddleback chilodonella, or when my ranchus eat a lot of sand like a bunch of derps and it weighs them down until they poop. :/

Ask a Question