Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Leeterboy submitted a new Showcase Item:

My Garden Pond.

My garden pond has koi and goldfish in it. I also have a bird bath incorporated into my pond, the he water is kept fresh using one of my two frog spitters. I have a pop bottle air powered skimmer that I will be replacing with a diy air powered box skimmer. I will also be adding an auto fill float valve when I add the box skimmer. The float valve will be connected to my rain barrel collection system.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very nice! I really like how you did the bird bath! Have you had any bird visitors yet? I did something similar a couple years ago, but was disappointed that [as best I could tell...] the birds never used it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Very nice! I really like how you did the bird bath! Have you had any bird visitors yet? I did something similar a couple years ago, but was disappointed that [as best I could tell...] the birds never used it.
I have seen quite a few. The only time I've seen them in it is really early in the morning. Mostly robins. One built a nest right above the pond at the gutter downspout.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
I noticed that my skimmer was working to well. It was taking all of the koi food before they had a chance to eat it. Went to the store and bought a styrofoam disk and cut out a ring. Tied a piece of yarn to it and made a loop to hang on the frog. Now I can feed them in the ring wait a little while go back out and take out the ring. Works really well so far.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought one of those wreath rings at the dollar store .It also makes a nice floating plant holder

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Started using my pond to grow some tomato plants. Just trying a few things to find out what works best. Going to use what I learn for next year.
IMG_5626.JPGIMG_5627.JPGIMG_5628.JPG
The first pic is a planter type basket with a styrofoam ring to float and panty hose hose to contain soil and anchored to a rock. The second is the same plant with my first tomato out of all plants. The third is my largest plant in a planter that is constantly supplied with fish water using an air lift design (using an air pump to "lift" water in tubing) and a bottom drain to return water to the pond. Below is the third type of system. The blue buckets that I used are from work. We get fresh mushrooms in them and they were being thrown in the trash. Now they are helping me grow plants.
IMG_5616.JPG
First water is pumped into a tube that connects to a valve "t" the valve controls how much or little water goes to the top of the system, all other pressure and water go to a frog water spitter. I went with this so I could control the flow of water to prevent water going into the system faster than it could drain, and to reduce stress on the pump.
IMG_5617.JPG
The water is pumped to a piece of garden hose that I attached by making a small hole with a drill bit and press fitted the tubing into the hose.
IMG_5618.JPG
I used a hole saw to make a hole in the lids for the plant to grow through. And used a cut from the hole to the edge to keep the garden hose in place with gravity pulling on the tubing.
IMG_5619.JPG
On the inside of each of the buckets is a piece of panty hose that I stretched over the rim of the bucket before placing the lid on, so the lid keeps it from coming off. The panty hose is filled almost to the top with organic potting soil. I had to keep adding soil as the panty hose expanded when I added soil. Be careful not to fill completely to the top, and not to completely fill the panty hose to the edges of the buckets. I did the first time and had to remove some later. Try to leave at least an inch or so from the top. The reason for this is after the water coming in saturates the soil, meaning that the soil can't hold any more water and can't filter the water out through the bottoms fast as it comes in, the excess water will pool slightly on top of the soil and run down the edges of the panty hose to the gravel and out the drain tube.
IMG_5620.JPG
On the side of the buckets I used a drill bit slightly smaller in size as my tubing and made a hole just above the bottom to connect a drainage tube. After press fitting the tubing I put some clean rocks into the bottom to cover the tubing. (SIDENOTE: before using rocks rocks check for lime due to water PH. Ways to do this can be googled. Also the reason for the rocks in the buckets is for stability and prevent the panty hose from stopping up the drain tube. )
IMG_5621.JPG
Next I placed the buckets on the edge of the front steps with each bucket draining out the tubing into the top of the bucket below.
IMG_5622.JPG
At the bottom step I fed the drain tubes into a hose. (The hose came with the canister filter that we use for the pond. It is the discharge hose for when the filter is back washed. Will use a hose clamp to hold more securely if needed. Can still be used to backwash as needed.
IMG_5623.JPG
The other end of the hose empties back into fish pond.
IMG_5629.JPG
All buckets are tomato plants except the bottom right. Trying one cantaloupe plant as well. I didn't use any glue or anything like that in this setup. This system is using gravity not pressure. However if you try this and have any leaks should be easy to fix with some silicone or something as long as it is fish safe. Also the reason some of the plants are yellow are due to lacking certain nutrients in the water for the plants. As I said I am only doing a trail to see which option I might expand on next year. I think it was a lack of iron that turns them yellow. But the plants in the buckets were really yellow like the floating one until I put them in the organic soil. Then they perked up in a day or two. Before they were still in the dirt pod things from the jiffy greenhouse kit I bought from Walmart.
(SIDENOTE: I am using organic soil to prove a point to my mother. She thinks that using fish "waste" can't be good for a plant or for the taste of the vegetable that I am growing. Lol. So I went with organic to prove to her that only the fish "waste" is growing them. She is starting to realize that fish "waste" is no different than any other type of fertilizer.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Border of 6a & 6b
Country
United States
Also. You might want to use black tubing instead of clear. Next year I will use black to prevent algae from growing inside the tubes due to sunlight.

Ask a Question