My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy I agree. Probably the average price for mine are around $3-$4 too. JW There is a carnival coming close to us this summer. I think I'm going to try to win a fish. The get really nice goldfish from a breeder in MO. Well I don't know if I caught my wife in a funny moment but now she is saying I can make the pond bigger! There is catch because she wants something too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy I agree. Probably the average price for mine are around $3-$4 too. JW There is a carnival coming close to us this summer. I think I'm going to try to win a fish. The get really nice goldfish from a breeder in MO. Well I don't know if I caught my wife in a funny moment but now she is saying I can make the pond bigger! There is catch because she wants something too!
Start digging right away!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
LoL, yes Keith you better get busy on enlarging it now or she might change her mind................we do that ya know :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well maybe I'll start soon if I can figure out when a good time would be to do it. When she is not around would be best. She will have the aesthetics police after me if I screw up the design. Do I just enlarge it towards the open part of the yard or do I try to do something interesting with the design? Also it is pretty shallow on the side I want to extend it because I slowly enlarged it the hard way by unfolding the liner I had saved as I dug around the edges so I have to decide what I want to do about that. Do I just extend the shallow ledges or should I dig another deeper section in the extension? The problem is I have seen too many great ponds on gpf and it seems like it would be boring to just turn a circle shaped pond into an oval.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yeah you do all the thinking and planning and we will put the likes to it (y)
If I had mine to do over I would sure make a walk in area this time. Much easier than trying to balance on the edge and lower ones self down w/o falling in. I'd make it much bigger too and have a bog for sure :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well of course she backtracked already...... She had mentioned that I could enlarge the pond and she wanted to remodel the kitchen and guess which project comes first? I am trying to think creatively. Because my pond is so shallow on the front edge if I wanted to pull up the whole liner and make it an average of 4 ft deep by redigging it I could almost triple the gallons and get it close to 2000 gallons because it would be 9x9x4 circular. I have always been a big believer that the surface area is just as important as the depth because this is where good gases enter the water and bad gases leave. Would I be benefiting a lot by digging it deeper? If it is around 60 sq ft of surface area it can support about 60 inches of fish now? (radius squared time pie equals square feet and 1 inch of fish per sq ft of surface area). Would making it deeper do all that much? Right now all the fish, plants, and frogs are doing fine so I don't know if it would be really worth it to disturb all that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
More surface area is supposed to be better for goldfish than depth so if I were to enlarge mine I would not dig any deeper as mine is 3&1/2ft deep and here that is fine for freeze and heat index. More surface area more goldfish you can keep safely. Koi being much larger fish I believe need more depth for their strong swimming,diving muscle usage. Now if you can go deeper and add more surface area for the goldfish it would be nice but if you have to choose I would say more surface area. Digging deeper is not IMO going to improve your quality of water for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JW. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Since there is already one deep area in the middle of my pond I wouldn't be really gaining any benefit by keeping the same footprint and digging the whole pond deeper as long as I stay with goldfish. I need to stay focused on making the existing pond larger!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK, question. My sister, the one that lived in AZ, moved to WI, did a hurry-up-and build-a-pond last fall RIGHT after they bought house and moved in. Now, this spring, the 6 large koi she had shipped form AZ (to the tune of well over $1,000 just to move them ...) plus the 12 or so smaller koi she bought "to cycle the pond" last fall, are disappearing. I told her it's a heron, since she saw one in a neighbor's yard. She thinks it's the raccoons. Then she said maybe it's a peregrin falcon, or a hawk. IMO, the only one of these that's likely is the heron. Let me describe her yard (and subdivision that she lives in) . ALL the yards have huge very mature trees, probably 50 years old or so. Her back yard where the koi pond is has almost 100% shade coverage from huge pines, spruce, and hardwoods. The koi pond is just off her back patio, which is attached to the house. So, I don't see any hawk or falcon "diving" for the fish, as she seems to think they are. And, I thought raccoons only fish in shallow water where they can corner their prey. She is down to 1 large fish and 2 small ones. I told her the predator will not stop until they are ALL gone. She says no more koi "but we may get some shubunkins, because they are pretty, too!" I asked why not put up a fence, she said, "We want to see our pond, no look through a fence." So I told her no more fish then, if she can't keep them safe.
Your thoughts?
CE, I'm ashamed in you. No more fish? I agree with your sister go with something far cheaper and find out what will work to keep whatever predator is attacking away. If I had stopped keeping fish when I lost a pond full I would have had to have quit keeping ponds several years ago. I also think that a Falcon, Hawk, or owl could easily be doing what she is experiencing. EVERY major bird of prey attack I have been familiar with was in a pond that was within 20' of the house. The worst one the pond was right next to the house and the attack post was the gutter eight above the bedroom window. Raccoon attacks are almost always very clear cut. They make one heck of a mess, from tearing up the edging of the ponds, to knocking over plants to leaving behind a carnage of clues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin, I don't know where CE is but i think the crux of the issue is that most people on this forum think of their koi and goldfish as their prized pets and not necessarily think of them as expensive possessions. Maybe some people do have expensive fish on gpf but they don't brag about how much they cost and instead might focus on the fish's great coloration and other attributes. You have a favorite fish because of its history in your pond and have developed an attachment to him. I'm sure he is not your most expensive fish. The same thing with me. I think the total cost of all my fish was under $50. So for me it's definitely not about showing off what I spent my money on. On the other hand some people look at their Koi and other pond fish as valuable possessions like some people collect art or fancy cars. In my opinion this was the issue. If someone is making a big deal about how much they cost then why would they not try to stop something that was taking them out of their pond? If it was because they could just buy more like you would replace any other object that was lost or stolen then that would be a poor excuse because then they are ignoring the fact that their pond fish are living animals and have feelings, and of course it also ignores the attachment all of us get with our waterbound pets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay, the sad news............... my two green frogs have disappeared. :eek: I did notice they were hanging our further and further from the pond but were never more than a hop or two away from making a big splash. This is day 6 since we saw them last. I am hoping they are out exploring but we have some very aggressive peregrine falcons in our area.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bummer, mine seem to never leave the water, that I see that is. Our hawks love to make snacks of them, same with the falcons.

Ask a Question