My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Is that a hens-n-chicks plant? I didn't know they bloomed either! Lots of succulents bloom, like sedum (most if not all varieties), but those are different. And, I learned that snake plants (some people call them mother-in-law tongue but MIL tongue is green with yellow edges, and snake plant is tall and skinnier - learned that lately lol) bloom! I need to get a pic of it. Friend has a plant and it has 2 tall spikes of flowers. I love learning new things like this. I just planted 3 different varieties/colors of hens-n-chicks, so maybe one day they will bloom. Thanks for sharing, Keith.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. CE, I bought it at a farmers market in Door County WI. a couple years ago. The seller said it was hen and chicks, but it was pretty boring until now. If you are ever in the neighborhood I'll be happy to give you some!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I will be driving up to my sister's the first weekend in August. Not certain if I will try to leave work on Fri. at noon and head up, or wait until Sat. a.m. Going to WI State Fair with my baby sister on Monday, so that's the only REAL plan so far! If I leave on Sat. a.m., would Sat Aug. 2 late morning work out for you and your wife? I'd love to make the stop on my way up, if it would work for you. If not, we will try next time. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey CE,Yes I think so. I'll check with her and send you a message. Also feel free to send me a message for our address.
Zman. Thanks! Actually 22 out of 28 were born in my pond. It's possible a few of the babies came to me by the way of plants or tadpoles shipped to me. Of the 6 that weren't born in the pond 1 was given to me so I bought 5. Somehow there is an interesting mix of comets and shubunkins with the group I have. I think I got lucky with some of the babies.There are some colors and patterns I haven't seen before anywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CE, visited my wife and I on Saturday and saw our pond, and we traded some plants. It was a lot of fun meeting her and talking about our ponds. We spotted a red dragonfly during her visit and tried to take some pictures. Later on that evening I saw a humming bird about 2 ft above the table from where my wife and I were sitting outside. They must like avocados because I was eating guacamole!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JW. It was a lot of fun. It's kinda interesting to meet the people behind the taglines. Oh and we shared everyone's real first names such as you, sissy, and addy. My wife and I are hoping to visit her pond next time we drive downstate. She took some pictures of me and my wife next to our pond. Usually i am camera shy especially for anything relating to the internet but went along with it.
Today, I stopped home for a few minutes for lunch. Naturally i had to feed my fish. well........ as I stood there watching the fish eat their flake food. I either saw a shadow or felt something getting really close to me. I looked down and there was the most mangiest cat i have ever seen standing right next to me watching the fish too, a cross between a tabby and siamese and he/she was missing giant swatches of fur probably from fighting. I was totally shocked as the cat was only a foot away to my side. I backed up and came in and called my wife and she took a bunch of pictures of the cat and me and sent it to our kids that we got a new pet, but it was sad that it was in such poor condition. It eventually left but wasn't scared of us at all. I counted the fish after she left and they were all still there!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well glad you had fun and now you know our names............the secret is out :D I don't even think I know sissy's real first name.

That poor kitty must belong to someone if it's that friendly. Maybe it's a barn cat? If you are in the city then prolly not. Just some poor thing that might be living on it's own if it's owner died or it's lost. If it's a non-fixed male then yep it prolly fights a lot. Glad it doesn't fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It was a fun afternoon, thanks so much, Keith, for inviting me for lunch! What a treat! I also posted the pic of you and I on my thread, and here is the pic of you and your lovely wife. Also, please remind me what we had for lunch. I love trying new foods, and this selection was outstanding! I loved each dish, but can't for the life of me remember what any of it was, except the homemade potato chips and humus. LOL My water hyacinths and lettuce made it home fine (they were in a bucket for 4 days!) and I tossed the anarachis (sp?) stuff in three different places - koi pond, stream, goldfish pond. That way if it works better in one area than another, I can "grow it" there!
In person, Keith's pond and landscaping is breathtaking! Just the right amount of plants, rocks, waterfall, and trees! I'm so envious of trees, since I have so few. Thank you again for allowing me the pleasure of meeting you and seeing your pond and habitat. No wonder your frog came back!
Keith and his wife.JPG
Fancy lunch.JPG

Red damselfly at CometKeith's house.JPG

Next on my list to visit are west coast - JW and maybe Colleen, since I think she said she was not too far from Washington .... Then east coast - Addy and Sissy. I know those two are pretty far from each other, but I figure if I go on a trip driving the east coast, why not! If I head south to Louisiana, Larkin will definitely be on my list. OMG, I better stop, because there are soooo many GPF friends that I would sure enjoying seeing in person! Then I will start a "Meeting GPF people" thread. LOL

Reaction score
Thanks JW. It was a lot of fun. It's kinda interesting to meet the people behind the taglines. Oh and we shared everyone's real first names such as you, sissy, and addy. My wife and I are hoping to visit her pond next time we drive downstate. She took some pictures of me and my wife next to our pond. Usually i am camera shy especially for anything relating to the internet but went along with it.
Today, I stopped home for a few minutes for lunch. Naturally i had to feed my fish. well........ as I stood there watching the fish eat their flake food. I either saw a shadow or felt something getting really close to me. I looked down and there was the most mangiest cat i have ever seen standing right next to me watching the fish too, a cross between a tabby and siamese and he/she was missing giant swatches of fur probably from fighting. I was totally shocked as the cat was only a foot away to my side. I backed up and came in and called my wife and she took a bunch of pictures of the cat and me and sent it to our kids that we got a new pet, but it was sad that it was in such poor condition. It eventually left but wasn't scared of us at all. I counted the fish after she left and they were all still there!
Ahhh, the kitty will be back, put out some dry food and you may have yourself a new pet!

Ask a Question