My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions. My wife told me today that the pond can't take up more than a 1/4 of the yard. She is very concerned about aesthetics and wants it to fit in with the landscaping. We are going to see the property again tomorrow. I have lot of pictures from the pond tours I have gone on that I am going to review if we decide to buy this property and will use them to help plan the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well probably not moving there because of other considerations..... Back to the drawing board. It almost hit 50 degrees today so I got a chance to net a few leaves out of the pond because the ice finally melted. The water is pretty brown from the tannins but it has never bothered the fish so I don't worry about it. I netted a few of my black goldfish while I was cleaning it and had to throw them back in. They seemed larger than I remembered them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh well there are more properties out there Keith. It's fun looking but maybe not so much as the weather gets colder. Maybe Spring will be easier. I don't think I have anymore black ones. Even a big one I had finally turned oj.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JW. It didn't help that every time we looked it was cold and dreary out. It's probably a little too far from the area we really liked but everything else about it was really great. The fish were moving around today and it was 50 degrees again. I cleaned some more leaves out of the pond. It got so cold so fast this year I was worried that the middle of the pond at the deepest point was full of leaves. I checked it out yesterday and it had some hornwort but not many leaves so the fish have plenty of room there to go where the water is warmer in the winter. I think I probably still have at least 7 or 8 good size all black goldfish about 3 inches ea. and several new babies from this year. One of the black ones turned all orange this year and two other were starting to change when I last saw them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow another ponder back east w/nice temps while we are sitting at 33 right now. Lucky you Keith!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey addy maybe you will go home to nice weather whenever you leave Florida. That would be nice!
lol...................yeah right.......mid January arrival. But many times we have had decent Januaries. Our house sitters say it has been really nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Even tho you love it down there on the beach w/ the warmth and all I bet you will still be kinda glad to get home won't ya addy?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even tho you love it down there on the beach w/ the warmth and all I bet you will still be kinda glad to get home won't ya addy?
I have a two - three month limit then it is time to be home, same with honey. Who knows when we are old and crippled we might move down here, but may not, crime is high, crowded, bad traffic. I like our calm rural living in md.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wonder if there is any place on this earth w/low crime, quiet, near the beach and not crowded w/ warm/mild temps?
I am sure you could find something on some far away island................maybe

Also, here, to be on the beach...............BIG BUCKS! More than we would spend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I don't think I would ever want to live on the ocean. I've seen what the salt water does to light fixtures, etc. Never thought about that until talked to a guy building a new home right on the ocean in Bonairre. He said he would have to replace lots of things on a yearly basis, like hinges for doors, etc., unless he got stainless steel! Wow, never thought about that. Said the salt in the air corrodes everything. Maybe it's not that way everywhere. I think someday I may want to live where it's warmer, but not on the ocean. Maybe within an hour or so, but live in the country where it's quiet. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yup, we are ready to leave cold dreary winters too, but where is the best place to go and affordable..... Maybe to the Cayman Islands where Priscilla is?

Ask a Question