My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Nathan. Naturally the house.....My wife all along has maintained that our home needs to be done first before I finish the fishes home!
We picked out the paint color for the porch today. ..decided to go with matt black after looking at a lot of other colors. We need to paint the deck and install decking on at least the stairs before we can start installing our kitchen cabinets. We need to carry up a lazy susan cabinet up through the back door because it is too wide to go through any other opening. The manufacturer says it can't be tipped without the mechanical assmble falling apart.

Luckilythe fish don't care about edging, decorative edge plants or safety fences! Just don't do matte finish as an interior paint! Hard to keep clean! We learned the hard way. I believe our living room is on coat 4 now lol. But it's a good change, I'll have to look for pics of all 4 to share, although original was boring plain white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy. We are actually moving in to the new place in the next 2-3 weeks and our tenants are moving in June 15th. It's been 20 months since we purchased it and 12 months since we started construction so we will be happy to be done. Thanks Nathan. I actually think we will be doing matte inside, but I'll be the only "child" messing it up and mostly when I play with my pond! My wife ran a painting company so she has a good idea what will work best for us. I preferred eggshell but because it's contemporary she wants a lower luster. Here is the porch after being painted.
IMG_20170527_201129357.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like eggshell, that is what we usually use for the rentals, looks nice and cleans up decently.

That looks great Keith.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Addy. We are actually moving in to the new place in the next 2-3 weeks and our tenants are moving in June 15th. It's been 20 months since we purchased it and 12 months since we started construction so we will be happy to be done. Thanks Nathan. I actually think we will be doing matte inside, but I'll be the only "child" messing it up and mostly when I play with my pond! My wife ran a painting company so she has a good idea what will work best for us. I preferred eggshell but because it's contemporary she wants a lower luster. Here is the porch after being painted.
View attachment 100311
In that case I will definitely defer to her expertise! Lol ours could be a number of factors, but I'm happy with our new color. The matte black on the porches looks sharp though!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the black it looks great against the brick and taupe or dark color at the top .Have you decided on a door color

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. This project has taken on a life of it's own. The scope is way bigger than we intended. Our tile is all from Spain or Italy and we spent way more on finishes than what we were planning. Also just the work itself was a lot. This is the first project I had where we tore a roof off a two flat. It was a lot of work. This was supposed to be our city house and we were setting aside money to buy a vacation condo somewhere warm. I guess that will wait.... Hi Sissy. it's going to be black like everything else. It's just that one gets painted so it's not done yet. Thanks Nathan. I bought another 6 gallons of paint for the railings today so we have 11 gallons of paint so far. My carpenters have been drilling the angle irons so we can screw the cedar to it from underneath. The decks are going to have a base of wolmanized wood for the cedar to sit on. The railings are coming Friday. The inside is going okay. We are not having casements around our doors so there is a lot of drywall stuff going on, They have to install these metal strips to get the right edge around them. I'll take a picture. The windows were similar but we did it a while back. We had to wait on the door install until the floors were done. We have been chopping holes in the walls the last few days to make a few changes to the electric. Hopefully we are done cutting holes.... Here is a picture of my pond. My water is super green right now. I broke my uv light when i set up my filter this spring. i don't know if it would help to get it fixed. i have never had so much green water before. i'm hoping it just goes away!
IMG_20170531_202344627 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks tbendl. Yes. We will be so happy when it's done. Hopefully I'll be able to focus on work more and our lives will be a little less unsettled. Thanks j.w. Actually there has been so much splashing that I have lost a lot of water in the last week. It looks like it is losing about an inch a day and we haven't had rain in a week. I'm hoping the plumber turns on our water Monday so I can add some water at some point. Here are a few pictures of the kitchen cabinets being put in.
IMG_20170603_114622512.jpg
IMG_20170603_114603519.jpg
IMG_20170603_114610425.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Addy, It's Walnut. My wife is still deciding whether we are doing a stainless steel toe kick or a black matte. It looks like we are going with quartzite for the counters but haven't picked that either yet. Hopefully we will make the selection in the next week. There are very few upper cabinets and it's mostly base cabinets. It looks like we will be moving in without the kitchen done but everything else should be in good shape. The whole second floor of our unit will be done including the master bath. We just put in the infiniti drain on Friday. It was kind of a pain. I'm not quite sure why we even did it because my wife didn't care about it and it didn't matter that much to me other than I have done it on other projects and thought we needed to put one in too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But black matte will do the same .It is like appliances everyone says stainless steel is hard to keep clean but it does not matter white ,black ,stainless or the new graphite color all need cleaned .On my stainless I use a tiny bit of olive oil and it does not show fingerprints and can hide scratch's also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for you input on the toe kicks. We are going to look at a new kitchen in the cabinet showroom tomorrow that has a metal toe kick. At this point I'm tired of making decisions and want to be done. Usually I'm on the other side waiting for customers to make decisions all the time. It seems like we make a big decision every week but things are still need to be picked out.... I'll be so happy when we are done and I can focus on my other customers :). I typically manage 10 projects at once of various size projects. This is probably my largest project right now but I have 3 or 4 other good size projects I need to get done right now.

Ask a Question