My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started buying from NextDay koi last year, I just love the selection and I don't even have to drive to it.
Shipping was 40 dollars no matter how many fish you got, I think it went up some, but I doubt it's more than a few dollars and I can't wait to shop for my new pond! Thank goodness the kind I like are not the most expensive

My husband used to surprise me with new fish from Petsmart every so often, but he's no longer allowed to do that now that I know about the different kinds of koi, and I've become so selective of what I put in the pond...lol this is the pond he tried for years to convince me to let him dig ...and now it's mine!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
@Gemma , You have a beautiful variety of koi ! I especially love your yambuki long fin.....at least, that's what I think it is :) My pond is 1700 gallons. The PVC return is from the sand & gravel filter. We built it last Spring and hiding the barrel was a big job, next summer, I'll work on concealing the PVC pipe.

Although I'd love an ochiba ( very much ) my pond size is best limited to my four adults.
Did you document the construction of the sand & gravel filter? I'd be curious to see it. Looks great!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Here's an idea on 6' Keith. The upper pond. I'm 5'10" & it was over my head while digging. Limited space I was putting it in so more like a fjord, narrow & deep. Think it's 6' or more at widest end. My 3 mutt butterflies from Walmart are in there. It's cool to know the different kinds but to be honest not my thing. I look for interesting markings that make them look like dragons. Lol my old ones really did.
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3375.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's an idea on 6' Keith. The upper pond. I'm 5'10" & it was over my head while digging. Limited space I was putting it in so more like a fjord, narrow & deep. Think it's 6' or more at widest end. My 3 mutt butterflies from Walmart are in there. It's cool to know the different kinds but to be honest not my thing. I look for interesting markings that make them look like dragons. Lol my old ones really did.
View attachment 105520 View attachment 105521 View attachment 105522 View attachment 105523
Your pond is super cool!
smbravo.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Nathan for the suggestion. I won't be ready for a new pond dig for a while but when I do i'll keep some of your ideas in mind. I'm going to post some more pictures of my pond. I think the size is more than adequate for a while. I have a lot of oxygenators on the far side of my pond. They provided a nice habitat over the summer for the 10-15 babies I have now in the pond. I can always pull those out and it will create a lot more room.
Thanks Gemma. i could have gotten one with a orange or faded Taisho a lot more cheaply or for that matter one with large black spots. I'm hoping the fish looks as good as the pictures. Thanks Tula for the suggestion. I don't really have a great place to put one right now. I know with Koi I need to be more careful of disease. Hopefully it will be okay. It was in the mid 70's today. It felt like a summer day but i know this will nice weather will be ending soon.
IMG_20171020_173525305.jpg
IMG_20171020_173459882.jpg
IMG_20171020_172758796.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma. We are in a very urban area. There are no herons around so no need to cover it from predators. There are about 100 bars and restaurants within 4 blocks of our home so just an occasional rat and some pigeons to worry about, and lots and lots of bunnies! NDK was definitely one of my favorites that I was checking out. I was watching a few of theirs on e-bay and I just couldn't justify buying another fish until this last one appeared on e bay and I decided I had to have it.
Nathan. Seeing those dig pictures made me want to look up some of mine. I am attaching one. I'm not starting to re-dig yet no matter what Addy says :) It seems pretty deep. I think I made it 4.5 ft deep at it's deepest part. i wanted to put a lot of shelves in for plants in the front and steps on the side in case anybody fell in that they could get out easily. So in the future getting rid of the shelves and steps would add a lot of volume to it if I needed to do it, but I think I have time.... I'm adding one more from a similar view to give before and after pics.
Thanks Tula. Yes the Hariwake loves to be in every shot or is that me making sure he/she looks good before I snap the picture?
20160826_121812.jpg
IMG_20171020_173722553.jpg

Ask a Question