My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha Ha Addy. You are right. Totally addicted now.... Shooting up the Koi stuff. I know I have that sort of personality and try to only allow myself to get obsessed with healthy activities. Well I bought one more. Here it is.
upload_2017-10-19_11-45-16.png

Everything I have read about Taisho Sanke is the black should not be too overpowering because it gets more dominant over time and only small dots on the head are best. Also a deep red Taisho on the head is most desirable (think Japanese flag) so this fish seems to have a lot going for it. It has actually been difficult to find a nice Sanke in long fin. It's 10.5 inches so i'm hoping as it gets older the colors all stay good. I guess the younger the fish the more random it is how it will look as an adult. Well if they have babies and all grow too big for the pond I will have to deal with it :) I'm getting it Tuesday.
Audio. That's great how you expanded the pond and found these fish. Where they difficult to find or buy?
Cas. My Koi addiction is coming soon..... Sorry about your fish.
Gemma I see you have revived the old thread about my favorite fish. Great idea. It'a a lot more fun talking about healthy fish than all the threads on sick and dying fish! I was on GPF in 2010 when the thread was started. I'm surprised I missed it, but that's funny you included my comments from 2014 about reviving the thread. I still have that comet I mentioned back then and it is my oldest fish. Also I still have almost all the fish from that picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Audio. That's great how you expanded the pond and found these fish. Where they difficult to find or buy?

Not difficult to find or buy online--just hard to pay for LOL.

But in all seriousness... As you know, you can spend anywhere from $5 at Petsmart for a mutt up to $50000+ for a show fish from Japan. I started with Petsmart fish but gave those away to a good home after the first winter when I knew that I was going to upgrade. These new fish are still definitely on the lower end of imported Japanese fish. They are basically the cast-offs from the high end breeders. Each one has several aspects that makes it not a show fish. But even so they are between $100 and $800 each. Most of them are from Kodama Koi Farm auctions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Audio. I have looked at Kodama's web site before and they have very nice fish. Well it looks like you did a great job because they look much more expensive than the prices you mentioned. What size range are they? I'm guessing most of them are 17-24". Hmmm.... Whenever I decide to do something like that it shouldn't be a problem with my wife. She has hundred of investments in the same price range that she keep in her closet. She calls them "shoes" !!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hi Audio. I have looked at Kodama's web site before and they have very nice fish. Well it looks like you did a great job because they look much more expensive than the prices you mentioned. What size range are they? I'm guessing most of them are 17-24". Hmmm.... Whenever I decide to do something like that it shouldn't be a problem with my wife. She has hundred of investments in the same price range that she keep in her closet. She calls them "shoes" !!

Yes, you are exactly right most are in the 17" to 24" range. I think the smallest is now 14" and the largest is 28" long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Beautiful new addition for your pond :) Do you worry about quarantining your new fish? When I bought my chagoi, I thought seriously about a set up for QT, but when I had to leave town suddenly on a family matter, I abandoned those plans and hoped for the best.

I've seen some super simple QT set ups, but I only have a 110 gallon stock tank , which is kind of small.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha Ha Addy. You are right. Totally addicted now.... Shooting up the Koi stuff. I know I have that sort of personality and try to only allow myself to get obsessed with healthy activities. Well I bought one more. Here it is.
View attachment 105444
Everything I have read about Taisho Sanke is the black should not be too overpowering because it gets more dominant over time and only small dots on the head are best. Also a deep red Taisho on the head is most desirable (think Japanese flag) so this fish seems to have a lot going for it. It has actually been difficult to find a nice Sanke in long fin. It's 10.5 inches so i'm hoping as it gets older the colors all stay good. I guess the younger the fish the more random it is how it will look as an adult. Well if they have babies and all grow too big for the pond I will have to deal with it :) I'm getting it Tuesday.
Cas. My Koi addiction is coming soon..... Sorry about your fish.
Gemma I see you have revived the old thread about my favorite fish. Great idea. It'a a lot more fun talking about healthy fish than all the threads on sick and dying fish! I was on GPF in 2010 when the thread was started. I'm surprised I missed it, but that's funny you included my comments from 2014 about reviving the thread. I still have that comet I mentioned back then and it is my oldest fish. Also I still have almost all the fish from that picture.
Your new koi is awesome! I'm curious to see how it will change with age, so please post updates!
My Sanke lost a lot of her red, doesn't even look like the same fish anymore, could be genetic, could be stress, could be due to my high ph...it really doesn't matter why, I will never buy another one
I really hope your fish stay this beautiful!
Lol hurry up with that addiction thread!
I've seen some super simple QT set ups, but I only have a 110 gallon stock tank , which is kind of small.
I have the same problem, nothing large enough to Quarantine so I just don't, but it is risky and I would love to know more about your simple set ups

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I've gotten my fish from the same place but even so QT would be better than just hoping they'll be fine as I've done.

I need one of my two college student kids to move out so I can make room to build a QT tank in the garage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gemma. Thanks. I don't have a qt system but have always been super careful where I add anything from. I went 5 years without adding any new fish at all. Tula. I haven't really worried about it but maybe I should. I'm still getting situated in our new place so there hasn't been time to get anything like that started. We can't even park in our garage yet because there is too much old furniture in it. Audio. Be careful what you wish for.... Our youngest graduated college last year and got a good job and moved to Ohio. We had tons of room in our old house so naturally we downsized! Tula my wife and are will be in your area next week when we visit our daughter. Re the new fish. I'm hoping for the best but.... The seller is a little unusual. He is charging $88 for shipping and if you ask for free shipping he says he will delete your e mail!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your new koi is awesome! I'm curious to see how it will change with age, so please post updates!
My Sanke lost a lot of her red, doesn't even look like the same fish anymore, could be genetic, could be stress, could be due to my high ph...it really doesn't matter why, I will never buy another one
I really hope your fish stay this beautiful!
Lol hurry up with that addiction thread!

I have the same problem, nothing large enough to Quarantine so I just don't, but it is risky and I would love to know more about your simple set ups
I've seen them set up with a simple shower filter, that sits right in the tank / pool .

Ask a Question