My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
No worries Keith I'm sure you do. There was no way I was re digging the original so I just added the second one. lol I'd give your back a break! Mine are both in clay so at least I didn't have to worry about it collapsing on me. About 5' down I ran into a 6-12" layer of rock similar to what I'd find at a waterfall about 3-5 miles away that's part of the Niagra Escarpment. That was cool but a pain to dig through. Was worse than the clay! I had those 2 shelves (big one easy to see & small one just below it to climb in/out of). I would fill 5 gallon pickle buckets (from work), place me on the shelf to get them out. Dump them in a wheel barrow, wheel it down to my fence gate. Transfer it to other 5 gallon buckets that I'd load into my truck to haul to the yard waste site. Sounds like a lot unless you've ever tried to shovel out a load of dirt. I could fit 22-25 of them in my truck bed at once. I'd roll into the yard waste site & unload them all in about 10 min or less. Lol much quicker. In your situation I'd leave the shelves unless you fence in the pond. You never know who could get too close & fall in. It's looking great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Keith, I think your pond is plenty deep enough for koi. I wanted mine to be 4 feet, but we ran into some huge tree roots, so it's 3.5 feet. Ironically we lost that huge tree a few years ago to the Emerald Ash Borer :(

All this excitement over your pond is making me think about what we could do. now that we don't have those tree roots - LOL !

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's cool to know the different kinds but to be honest not my thing. I look for interesting markings that make them look like dragons.
The only reason I'm interested in learning the different types of koi, is so I can look for a specific color/pattern
I wish I knew what kind of koi my Squalo is, so I could find another one all swirly like him!
I love dragons! I actually collected a few, and I just had to have a Dragon Koi!
... but of course being Majestic and mysterious like a true dragon, he is the one fish that's always hiding

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All this excitement over your pond is making me think about what we could do. now that we don't have those tree roots - LOL !
Planning on digging might seem scary, but regretting not having done so, could be worse!
smalzaciglia.gif

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Nathan for the suggestion. I won't be ready for a new pond dig for a while but when I do i'll keep some of your ideas in mind. I'm going to post some more pictures of my pond. I think the size is more than adequate for a while. I have a lot of oxygenators on the far side of my pond. They provided a nice habitat over the summer for the 10-15 babies I have now in the pond. I can always pull those out and it will create a lot more room.
Thanks Gemma. i could have gotten one with a orange or faded Taisho a lot more cheaply or for that matter one with large black spots. I'm hoping the fish looks as good as the pictures. Thanks Tula for the suggestion. I don't really have a great place to put one right now. I know with Koi I need to be more careful of disease. Hopefully it will be okay. It was in the mid 70's today. It felt like a summer day but i know this will nice weather will be ending soon.View attachment 105537 View attachment 105538 View attachment 105539
CometKeith the progress is amazing. It looks wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CometKeith the progress is amazing. It looks wonderful.
Thanks Tbend. I don't feel like I have really spent that much time on it and it could be much further along. When we had our house I could spend a whole day working on it no problem. Now because we have tenants and nearby neighbors Everytime I work on it everyone keeps going by me on the way to and from the garages saying hi. I'm wondering if they think I'm crazy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nah all the wives are wishing their husbands would do the same!
Addy I guess you are right. We met with some friends the other day and someone one asked me if I saw one of the college football games on Saturday. I didn't even realize college football had started let alone spend my whole day watching it! Well the e bay Tacho Sanke Koi I ordered is coming today. I'm looking forward to it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fresh air and gratification of your hard work .Just like your new place it all comes with time and love and a little or lot of work .I remember when I moved here from NJ and gave all my furniture away in NJ .Starting over was so much fun .Hubby and I picked out every piece of furniture from outlet stores here .We had to borrowed plastic chairs in the living room and a tv but time and the search was so much fun .It took us a year to find some of it but the hunt was fun and the bargains were amazing .Great that there are so many furniture outlets here that made it an amazing search

Ask a Question