My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
significant other brought me home some tadpoles tonight and the dam bluegill that is in there thought they were supper for him! needless to say the bluegill's gonna find a new home (thanks to my oldest who put it in there)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks again for the complements. We live in a very urban area and it's interesting how even a small pond helps support the wildlife. We have chipmunks, squirrels, and other creatures that come to the pond everyday to drink water. The bushes behind the pond support nests for dozens of sparrows and also a nest of brightly colored finches. There is a robin that comes everyday for her morning bath and she decided to make a nest on one of our windowsills and we watch the babies every day!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love that part of ponding all that it brings into your life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Comet, we had a rogue turkey that thought our pond was her personal fountain, she has moved on and no I didn't chase her away. Enjoy the pond, the animals and your fish are happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today I decided to try to adjust the liner on one side because I didn't like how it looked and naturally a big chuck of clay fell in as I was adjusting it. My water looks much different then when I took these pictures. I don't think my wife would take kindly to be putting one of her laundry baskets under the waterfall with quilt batting so I will probably have to do water changes to clear it up. Why can't people leave their ponds alone and are always trying to improve it!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Spaghetti strainer at Dollar general $1 works great! cheap too. LOL I had to get in mine this evening to make a guard to keep the bigger koi out of the skimmer, while I was at it, flushed out under some of the rocks on that end of the pond, didn't look too bad, cut back some of the lily leaves that are turning yellow and a few spent blooms, figured I would cut back some the half eaten parrots feather, pulled on some to cut them back and WHOOPS, my smaller water fall came crashing down, Of course the largest rock in the falls lands on my foot! Pinched between tow LARGE rocks!!! OUCH! Now I have a black and blue little toe! Guess that's better than a hole in the liner! Got the guard put on, and the water looked so cloudy I couldn't see the fish much less the bottom. It's midnight now and just went out and checked the water and it's already crystal clear. My foot is throbbing and I'm here checking the forum and waiting on my dear wife to help me put the protective wire covers back on and I'm calling it a night. Little more clean up and I'm going to try and take a video of the yard tomorrow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ouch fishin...............

That happens comentkeith, I have had dirt fall in mine since I started, slowly getting all the uphill slopes covered so it does not happen as much. Anything that lets water run through it works. even a hd orange bucket drill some holes in it fill with quilt batting. When it is dirty take the bucket and rinse the batting, then stick it back in.

The dirt will settle. I have yet to vacuum all the dirt out that fell in during the build process. But water is clear and levels excellent so end of season job I think lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin, sorry about your toe! Addy I'll try something like that. I tried using a white t shirt last night, but it didn't really do anything. It cleared up enough to see them this morning. The clay particles didn't seem to bother my fish. There were 8 males taking turns pinning down the largest shubunkin female down on the rocks. It looked like one of those tag team wrestling events. Some of the fish were even mostly out of the water to hold her down. Hopefully I'll have some shubunkin fry soon!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
some koi ponders even add clay to the water for their fish, the clay should not bother them. I have had a lot fall in as I have tweaked the slopes this year. Water tests still great!

poor gal! being abused. Good luck on your fry! I have seen some really nice fry with all the spawning going on in my pond. goldies and shubies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The clay cleared up after a few days. I did a few 10% water changes, but I think my filter on my pump did most of the work because it clogged up twice in three days. I am done "adjusting" the liner because this could have ended up a lot worse then it did. Still waiting on the fry, but the shubunkin female is a lot thinner now after dropping her eggs. I have never literally seen goldfish out of the water in the rocks of the waterfall laying on another fish like I did this time. It was like they were possessed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just got a new fish from a friend a few days ago. It's a really nice 6-7" red/orange comet with a lot of color running into it's long tail. It's the largest one in these pictures. He/she is still a little shy and hides a lot so I couldn't get too close. Hopefully he will learn from the other fish to be friendlier. Also I don't think he ate too much floating flake food and is just warming up to it now. I guess I will be enlarging my pond now!

Attachments

• 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 633
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 710
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 582

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Better start digging soon, summer will be on the way out before ya know it. Will be fun watching you build it. Fish will love it! Pretty fish you got from your friend, love the long flowing tail and that's a nice size for a new fish.

Ask a Question