My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, my wife went out of town, so naturally I turned my attention to my pond. I had a liner sitting in the garage that is bigger than the existing one. The current one was installed when I was a newbie and has floating liner syndrome among other things. Well I started at 5:00 PM and had the new one down by 8:00 plus I dug out about 20 5 gallon buckets of clay and mud and my back feels it right now. It's amazing what you set your mind to when you want to get something done quickly and you don't drink too much beer! The fish are back in the pond tonight and the pump and biofilter are working. I was able to save about 150 gallons of the old water and added another 25 gallons that I had sitting around. I got to measure how much water I pulled out and then pumped out another 100 gallons or so I think it was just shy of 300 gallons. Now with the extra digging and getting rid of the water under the liner I think it is going to be at least 400 gallons. I still may dig out the front perimeter a little tomorrow morning. I took Addys advice and put some strips from the old liner back in the pond to help it get started again. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 463
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 482
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 457

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So even the white ones start out black and turn to oj and then lastly to white. You just never know what they will look like. I have to make it a point to get to the store and find some shubbies before summer ends. We have a wal-mart, petsmart and petco and another jones pet store close together. One day I'm gonna make the rounds. I like to bring an ice chest for the bagged fish to ride in just in case the bags break. Never trusted those bags. They never broke but still I like to be safe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So even the white ones start out black and turn to oj and then lastly to white. You just never know what they will look like. I have to make it a point to get to the store and find some shubbies before summer ends. We have a wal-mart, petsmart and petco and another jones pet store close together. One day I'm gonna make the rounds. I like to bring an ice chest for the bagged fish to ride in just in case the bags break. Never trusted those bags. They never broke but still I like to be safe.

Some of my new fry have gone from the brownish color to very dark shubunkins with bright whites and reds, very pretty, guess when they are done growing the color will settle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Someday I will have those little beauties to watch change colors, someday very soon.............thinking I'll call around first and see who actually has any before I drive all over the place. Checking Wally's first off cuz there are 2 of those right close to each other.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Someday I will have those little beauties to watch change colors, someday very soon.............thinking I'll call around first and see who actually has any before I drive all over the place. Checking Wally's first off cuz there are 2 of those right close to each other.

i would ship you some, but that would be more than they are probably worth! good luck on your hunt

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh just saw this addy. Thanks but you were right. I found these today for $1.99 ea on sale. Not too bad I thought. Not as good a bargain that you got but made my day!
The new content button still isn't quite working right I don't think cuz one minute there is a list of posts and then I click on New Content and it's all gone so I have to go to the forum button and see if I missed anything.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gosh just saw this addy. Thanks but you were right. I found these today for $1.99 ea on sale. Not too bad I thought. Not as good a bargain that you got but made my day!
The new content button still isn't quite working right I don't think cuz one minute there is a list of posts and then I click on New Content and it's all gone so I have to go to the forum button and see if I missed anything.
You did good! yeah it would be overnight shipping ............big dollars lol
The new content button has worked for me most of the time recently.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
New content button is quirky........works for most of them but not all posts so I miss some.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
New content button is quirky........works for most of them but not all posts so I miss some.

trying to keep you from typing so much jw, it is a conspiracy.......................

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Don't give them ideas addy. I think we need a cloud right now.

ok, my wife went out of town, so naturally I turned my attention to my pond. I had a liner sitting in the garage that is bigger than the existing one. The current one was installed when I was a newbie and has floating liner syndrome among other things. Well I started at 5:00 PM and had the new one down by 8:00 plus I dug out about 20 5 gallon buckets of clay and mud and my back feels it right now. It's amazing what you set your mind to when you want to get something done quickly and you don't drink too much beer! The fish are back in the pond tonight and the pump and biofilter are working. I was able to save about 150 gallons of the old water and added another 25 gallons that I had sitting around. I got to measure how much water I pulled out and then pumped out another 100 gallons or so I think it was just shy of 300 gallons. Now with the extra digging and getting rid of the water under the liner I think it is going to be at least 400 gallons. I still may dig out the front perimeter a little tomorrow morning. I took Addys advice and put some strips from the old liner back in the pond to help it get started again. Here are a few pictures.

Man Keith you were one busy fellow when the wife was away. We need a finished picture of the pond in action w/ the fish and plants all merged together. Good job Keith!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We need an update cometkeith............how it your pond doing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok, back with the pics. I was out of town for the last few days. We have been taking our youngest to see colleges. We visited the University of Maryland over the weekend and took in some sights around DC at the same time. The first pics are with the liner spread out about 3 ft from the edge of the pond and the pavers placed down on the rim. I also decided to build up the edge of the pond so it is a little higher than before. The next picture is pretty much the finished product. I didn't have time to finish up the liner on the back half, but will do that soon. I also added more rocks to the waterfall and made that look more natural looking. I put pea gravel down on the liner to keep it down and added mulch on top of that.The last picture are the happy little guys. I think overall the finished product is much improved. My liner stretches out the proper distance now in all directions, the waterfall is better, the pond is deeper and the perimeter is larger, and the shape is more even. My wife hasn't figured out the changes. She just thinks I put more dirt around it!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 486
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 398

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking nice, looks like you still have some extra liner, next time you feel ambitious dig a little more! lol

I like the changes you have made

Ask a Question