My goldfish pond

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
LOVE that you're meeting new rock-moving buddies. Good luck getting that rock moved the rest of the way,
Thanks! It's a lovely karst crystal-filled rock, so I'd love to get the thing out intact. We'll get there!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, we go the route of explosives only once the chivalry has proven totally ineffective. What I really need is a good solid steel pipe to create a shaped charge...
Now your getting me excited !!!!!! Playing with boom booms.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@YShahar be careful there, you'll shoot your eye out
evaporate.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So follow up on my story of meeting Ryan @ChiDIY is i saw his new pond build the other day and it was amazing! Tomorrow he is coming over to get some of my excess bog plants, and we are going to see if we can catch a few goldfish that I plan to give him for his new pond. 😁

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
So follow up on my story of meeting Ryan @ChiDIY is i saw his new pond build the other day and it was amazing! Tomorrow he is coming over to get some of my excess bog plants, and we are going to see if we can catch a few goldfish that I plan to give him for his new pond. 😁

Cool! Now I just wish more GPF members lived near me. Would love to do a water plant swap over a glass of Ardbeg or arak!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cool! Now I just wish more GPF members lived near me. Would love to do a water plant swap over a glass of Ardbeg or arak!
YSharar my wife and I almost got the chance to visit. We may come to Israel again next year we are not sure. If we do I’ll bring some pond plants and make it out your way to visit. I doubt I could get any plants into the country. Lol. Update with Ryan @ChiDIY He made another visit and got a few more goldfish. Some of my Koi are getting huge! If I had any sense I would give him a lot more fish!!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
YSharar my wife and I almost got the chance to visit. We may come to Israel again next year we are not sure. If we do I’ll bring some pond plants and make it out your way to visit. I doubt I could get any plants into the country. Lol. Update with Ryan @ChiDIY He made another visit and got a few more goldfish. Some of my Koi are getting huge! If I had any sense I would give him a lot more fish!!
Well, if you're going to be able to visit, definitely get in touch! You're welcome to stay with us (though no, there's no chance of getting plants in). It would be fun to take you guys out on some of the nature trails with the jeep. Signing off for Yom Kippur. G'mar Hatimah Tovah!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Beautiful picture, thank you for sharing. Seems like you've hit the sweet spot with your pond, balanced and established enough for you to travel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beautiful picture, thank you for sharing. Seems like you've hit the sweet spot with your pond, balanced and established enough for you to travel :)
Thank you. Yes the pond has been almost no work this year. The only thing I do is clean my bead filter once or twice a week. It takes 20 minutes to do that. The only issue this year when we were away earlier in the spring is a pipe got loose from the bog pump and the pond lost water but it was easy to fix and the fish were fine. I got a few close ups yesterday.
IMG_2885.jpeg
IMG_2887.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So colorful, it's easy to see why they're called " living jewels". Really pleased to hear how well your pond is running, you've done a great job !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Wow--your fish are huge! And so many of them. I am just learning about fish and only have 3 shebunkins which I think have gotten big (about 7" long) compared to what they started out as ( less than 1" ) when I bought them 2.5 years ago. Now I look at your fish, which I assume are koi, and am amazed. I see that you live in Chicago which I know gets really cold in the winter. Do you need to do anything special to help them survive the winter months? I'm in Vancouver which stays pretty mild so I haven't needed to do anything different for the fish. I'm guessing they hibernate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So colorful, it's easy to see why they're called " living jewels". Really pleased to hear how well your pond is running, you've done a great job !
Thanks Tula. It actually worked out adding the Koi to the pond a few years ago. I was a little concerned at first but I think keeping a pond of just goldfish for 10 or so years gave me a lot of experience. I have done very little to the pond this year and we were gone a total of 3 months traveling so I’m pretty fortunate to have it going well. Did you get some goldfish for your pond?

Ask a Question