My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey herz, I did move the edges out further, but she has other things on her mind. Like the fact that the housing market crashed and as a builder I signed my name to too may loans. I am much more optimistic than her and feel things will be okay in a couple years. I am currently doing a lot of work with REO's. The pond has been very therapeutic and an inexpensive hobby for me, but when I first started with it i think she thought I lost my mind!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Keith,
That sucks! Good luck with those! The pond I think is therapy for all of us on here. We have a builder who is developing on the lots he has in our neighborhood and so far he has been lucky and sold the last 2 shortly after building them. He got both in our local showcase of homes, so not sure if that helped him a lot or not. LOL I don't think anything I want to do in the yard/house surprises my wife anymore, its more a matter of convincing her I won't spend too much time with it. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol as the wife, my hubby just says do what you want sweety. He has yet to say stop, likes the fact it keeps me busy. I used to work 2 jobs, so not ready to just sit around and watch tv. That is what you do when the snow is deep and cold.
He even, recently, told me to build another pond if I wanted to.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Here the builder built 2 homes shoddy work on all the homes he built .I grew up around the building industry as my father worked for Kaplan Builders back in NJ so I can see a bad build and people always fall for a new house saying no work well there is always something that has to be done ,new or old .I keep busy in the winter planning ahead addy whether you are changing something with your pond or house there is always something to do .I would love to do a pond fish free as it would be less work and I can spend less time working on it and enjoy the water feature more .Been thinking of moving the fish to the other house and let Mike worry about them since that pond seems to be doing so well now that it has been cleaned out and gotten back into working order >I'm sure aggie and bert would love the room to roam

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So, CometKeith, when are you changing your username to WatonaiKeith??? :cheerful: John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks John! They were shipped yesterday and are arriving tomorrow. I am not a big buyer of things by mail order/internet so I am hoping everything is going to be okay. My oldest daughter is going to Hawaii next week and offered to bring the fish back, but they don't allow people to pick them up.
Addy you have a great hubby. That's really nice that he lets you do what you want. That is not my wife's attitude but she keeps me in line which is ok too. Re: builders, i think a lot of blame was put on them for too much building, but people were buying and banks were almost giving away money for construction loans. Hopefully things will recover to some respectable level at some point. There are millions of people out of work now because the housing industry collapsed.... and these were good jobs!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He gets his cars, I get my pond, well whatever I want, I actually tell him no to some things lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They arrived today and look great. I don't have a separate tank to quarantine so they got mixed in with the old fish right away after I let the bag float etc. One of them is in this picture. It's on the left side of the group. The other one is more shy but I saw him come out a little later.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 223

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, glad they got there ok. Did you grab a picture of them in the bag? We want close ups so we can ewwwwwwww and ahhhhhhhh over them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Didn't get closeups but they are less shy now so it shouldn't be a problem to get better pics. They are really beautiful fish but I can see that they swim much slower then the other fish because of their wide tails.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have butterfly and fancy tails and they do go slower but hard to get a decent pic of them because of the long flowing tails .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, Your right, It's much harder to get a closeups once the fish are in the pond. The first picture shows one of the new ones on the left. He's in the front in the second pic. My floating plants have not browned out yet, but I'm expecting them to go any day now. Last two pics are of a really neat dark cloud I saw today on the way home. It's over Goose Island in Chicago if anyone knows where that is. it's where Goose Island Beer got it's name from.

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 243

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I do best with a polarizing lens on my 400 mm lens, then they don't notice me standing away from the pond getting pictures, or the underwater camera snap as they go by.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
cometkeith,
I used to think I was one of the few guys (my younger brother being the exception) who would notice cool looking clouds and take pictures, my wife still laughs at me whenever she sees me doing it, lol

Here's a couple i got from my backyard earlier this month:

DSC04255.JPGDSC04257.JPG

Ask a Question