addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good comet keith, nice fish you have there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, guys, The pond is about 8 x 8 or so and the fish seem to like the layout. There are a lot of shelves to explore and there is enough deeper water for them to feel safe. I'll have to think of a new project now that i'm done expanding it!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
8x8 LOL sorry have to laugh but that is the size I sold my wife on when I decided to put one in, needless to say after poking around on here for a month or so during the design process I made it a lot larger. How deep is your pond? Did you leave your fish out all winter? Looks really nice, what are the floating plants?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
8x8 LOL sorry have to laugh but that is the size I sold my wife on when I decided to put one in, needless to say after poking around on here for a month or so during the design process I made it a lot larger.
And by next spring you will be thinking of ways to make it even bigger!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember the more fish you have the bigger the filter and more fish means more babies .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Remember the more fish you have the bigger the filter and more fish means more babies .

I am quickly seeing that sissy, my 4 have way multiplied, did add a few fish over the summer, rescued ones, and a few from wally world they were getting rid of.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw your pond addy starting to look like the inner city .Crowds like they get in NY for the new year ball drop

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ahhh addy you are close to there and next spring you are going to be bursting at the seams.Is there such a thing as a slum pond lord LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have neighbors who hide from when they know my fish have babies .I have the people now that I gave the liner to that have only the 2 koi I gave them and they need a few more but want to wait until next spring .This year I did not see but 1 baby and that got stuck in the filter and died and others I guess I lost one the new neighbors dog got loose and destroyed my pond and ripped the liner .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hey herz, It's about 4-4.5 feet deep at the middle. The fish are fine all winter. I run a little air pump to keep a hole in the ice. Koiguy is right, water lettuce and water hyacinth. i probably threw out 10 times as many plants you see now over the summer. They multiply like crazy. There is one tropical and a water Lilly mixed in too. I don't know about bigger. It seems to be a nice size now. Not as big as Addy's of course. This pond keeping is a sickness. It's hard to stop making the pond get bigger, adding more fish and wanting larger fish! I may add a few more fish. I have my eye on a couple right now.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
lol Tmann,
I'm already realizing I should have done it bigger in the first place, but the only way I could now would be to pull up the rocks and splice liner or pull them all up and put in a new liner, but that would be way too much work. I already lifted up the edge rocks enough to raise the edges and water level as much as I could, so I am done with this one. Might add a wildlife pond somewhere in the yard down the road, only need to figure out a solution for mosquitos since it wouldn't have a pump or filter for it. That and a way to convince my wife to go along with it.

cometkeith,
wow the sides must go straight down, it didn't look that deep in the middle from the pictures. so what do you do with the water lettuce and water hyacinth over the winter? they aren't zone hardy where you are right?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz,
When I first started out I had a small 8' diameter pond about 12"-18" deep then a 15' creek that went to the big pond, then two three years later I decided to get rid of the smaller pond and do one long creek and then have a smaller creek that will one day be a bog maybe. Now I am rethinking the whole idea of how I can possibly put in a smaller shallower pond again at the same time keep my big long creek. The reason I want the small pond again is that there is a lot you can do with a shallower pond with plants and stuff and I think I acted too quickly in taking the other one out. My wife hates when I start talking about ideas with the pond. I also want to put a garden railroad around my pond at some point.

Ask a Question