sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may be will be building a bigger pond soon as they look like they are pretty big .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your pond looks great and gorgeous fish. Can you give any details about your pond and how you built it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks !! It's roughly 2500 gallons or so. I did not build it personally, I had a local guy here do it for me. It has a aquascapes waterfall box concealed in the berm, with a skimmer box on the other end. I have a 1600 hydrive pump for the waterfall. It has low voltage lighting with three bulbs hidden in the rocks. I have a shelf in there about 1 ft down on one side , so fish can hide underneath . I have roughly 13 fish or so in there 5 of them have been with me for years, others were born in the pond. Because the pond has so many nooks and crannies in the rocks I get lots of koi babies, I have to give away the undesirables so it does not get overstocked. I only put microbe lift in it, I never use any chemicals. I have various Lilly's and plants every year and I always have 2/3 of the pond covered in floating plants to cut the sun in summer. It's pretty self sufficient once the bacteria gets going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It looks really great and the rocks look very natural. I agree about not putting in a lot of chemicals. If your water quality is good you don't need to add much. Also I think its great your pond is close to self sustaining. More ponds should be designed that way.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic, love self sustaining, my pond is similar. I really don't do anything to it, except get rid of extra lilies, plants. Feed very little when they are spawning, they love to snack on the eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks ! Yes for sure, when I say self sufficient I truly mean it. Most of the work is in the spring, putting in the Lilly's and the floaters then it just takes over. I scratch my head when people tell me about all the chemicals, money and work they do to keep their ponds going. When I hear this , it tells me that the pond wasn't built or set up properly. I think the lots of natural rocks etc all provide a good base for bacteria to grow. The plants and floaters take care of sun , algae and co2 issues. I swear by microbe bacteria . Just put a cup or so a week. Other than that just clean the filter pad weekly and enjoy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add nothing, think my bog full of plants and gravel, the lilies help the pond take care of itself. I (don't tell) quit testing my water it never changed from perfect. I do, off and on, keep track of the ph and hardness. We have acidic and soft well and rain water.

Glad to hear your pond is doing so well!

Yep spring and fall is the only time I spend a lot of time on the pond, grooming lilies, netting out leaves in the fall. ow I just enjoy it.

Ask a Question