ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Some of them have hatched! I'm guessing that they will all be hatched by tomorrow :D Now they just have to survive the next week or so looking like tasty worms :p
f0fd9667-8fbc-4e4c-af27-5c422efc9a03_zpsa3f951e9.jpg

These little guys are seriously difficult to take photos of. They are so unbelievably small. I added the dots to let you folks see them better ;).

My pond is being overtaken by both suspended and string algae. Good for these little guys :rolleyes:, but bad for my poor pond's appearance :eek:
IMG_1900_zps7b2e1557.jpg

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I fished this little guy out of a flower pot today...

I think he might be the only fry that made it :( I want to take him in or separate him to insure his survival, but I don't know if I can successfully feed him to keep him alive... He's a couple weeks old so idk what he can and can't eat yet. Advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Maybe you can put something like rocks in there that are algea covered for him to eat. No clue what els you would feed it. I never fed any of the babies I put into the stock tank that I rescued from the skippy. But they were not that small. Now that those are getting bigger I have been feeding them fish flakes. The others of course are in the pond. I just seen them eat algea of the rocks and sides of the pond etc. I think turtle mommy was feeding some of her fry maybe she will see this post.
They are so cute when they are that little. Good luck, hope he makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
do you have a fine mesh floating plant basket you would use as a nursery in the pond? I actually think that' how so many of mine survived this year.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
do you have a fine mesh floating plant basket you would use as a nursery in the pond? I actually think that' how so many of mine survived this year.
No I do not, I keep my floating plants above my waterfall where the fish can't get them. No need for a floating basket. I still have this guy in the flower pot but I'm afraid he might be starving because he isn't really growing at all.

Ask a Question