my koi ....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just like puppies..a good light scratchin' under the chin feels so gooood!
SANY1657.jpg

"dude...i was here first, so MOVE!"
SANY1662.jpg

what the hell is that thing?
SANY1658.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
ToniJ....thanx, and yeah theres a couple of rubber lizards in there...the koi like to play with them. theres 45 3" to 6" koi 5 20" koi and a 18" pieco in there. thats their wintering pond in my basement..800 gal. 55 gal filter.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nice fish. I'm going to have to do some serious research on spawning and fry. Both are new to me but I'm eager to learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The fish will teach you, PL. :) But, be careful is you try to save as many as you can. Have a back up pond or place to put them. I have learned it's best to let the fish take care of most of the eggs and fry, and only have a few additional fish every year. I didn't even know that I had babies until I spotted them when they were over 1" long already! This year I will be looking much closer. Also, my water this year is much clearer, so I should be able to spot them easier as well. I assume they will be hiding around the plants and pots, etc.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
pondlover...heres some helpful threads.... and baby pools make good fry ponds. if you want to keep fry and raise them. you gotta get them seperated from the bigger fish. even the fish spawning will eat the eggs as fast as theyre laid. not all will get fertilized and everything that can fit them in their mouth is out to eat them until they reach an inch or so in length.
http://www.gardenpon...-own-fry-foods/
http://www.gardenpon...diy-spawn-mops/

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
PL.....your welcome....are you taking notes as you read, for future quick reference? many people do; and keep a pond and maintainence journal as well..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have my "Pond Information" Word document that is up all the time. Constantly jotting things down. It has helped me many time. And, once I got interested in koi, I would jot down color names and descriptions. I read and re-read that and have problems identifying koi still.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have started bookmarking things that I need to read more on and am learning more all the time. Currently soaking up information on fish and plants. :goldfish:

Ask a Question