My Latest Pond Expansion (v4.0) in Pictures

Reaction score
I am a new member here, but I thought this post would go better in here than in the introductions forum, so here goes!

About 5 years ago my wife bought a little 65 gallon preformed liner so that we could (basically) have a lillypad next to our patio. I'd been resisting her on the whole water gardening thing for a while, so she bought everything while I was away on a week-long fishing trip. I came home to find a half finished hole and a pile of pumps, lights, hose, etc.

The 65 gallon pond was nice... For a while. My wife and I have been keeping fresh and saltwater fish for over 20 years, so it was only a matter of time before that bug bit. The thing is, little koi get big, and they were quickly getting too big for the pond. So, we were on to v2 of the the "Great Pond Expansion".

The second version (first expansion) took the pond from 65 gallons to roughly 150 gallons. Of course, the bigger pond required bigger pumps, filters and a flexible liner. This configuration lasted most of a year before, again, the slightly larger koi got, um, slightly larger. On to v3!

The third pond (second expansion) was supposed to be "more than enough" (famous last words) for what we were going to need. A bigger pump, more liner and our first pressure filter were purchased and the pond was upsized to about 500 gallons. Our "big" koi seemed tiny in their new digs, and everything was fine for most of two years.

I need to note here that, through our watergardening adventure we had sucked a few family members into the hobby. My wife's brother was one who drank the kool-aid. He and his live-in girlfriend (with our help) skipped the growing pains and jumped right into a nice 700 gallon pond with assorted plants and a few small koi. Fastforward a few years. My brother-in-law and his girlfriend part ways. She gets the house, he gets the fish. Or, I should say, WE get the fish, doubling the number of koi in our pond.

That brings us to the fourth and final (No. Really!) version of our "Great Pond Expansion". I told my wife that this time would be the last time we would redo the pond unless or until we moved, so we'd better go for broke! Plans were made and supplies were purchased for the new aquatic behemoth.

Phase 1 started in earnest last fall. We needed to make sure the fish had adequate accomodations to survive the Ohio winter, so this phase entailed removing the fish from the pond, expanding the existing hole and getting the liner and filters running to the point that we could get the fish back in the (larger) pond. In the meantime they would be living in a 150 gallon stock tank in a shady spot on the patio with plenty of moving water and aeration. Phase 1 needed to happen pretty quickly.

With the help of a few friends, I started on the project first thing on a Saturday morning. By dinner time, this is how it looked.

pond_01.jpg

pond_02.jpg

The new pond is basically a rounded triangle shape. The short sides are each 13' long and, figuring in the added height of the retaining wall, it is 34" deep on the shallow end and 42" deep on the deep end.

By lunchtime on Sunday (Day 2), it looked like this.

pond_03.jpg

And by dinner time on Sunday, I had the bottom drain plumbed, the underlayment and liner in and the bottom drain and skimmer were sealed-up.

pond_04.jpg

pond_05.jpg

pond_06.jpg

Since the sealant had to cure for 24 hours, the pond sat like this until Monday evening.

... continued ...

Reaction score
When I got home from work on Monday, I did the little things needed to get the new pond ready for water. I trimmed the liner out of the skimmer flange and bottom drain, finished putting everything together and smoothed the liner as best I could. Then I turned on the hose and started filling it up. After putting several hundred gallons of water into the pond, I realized that I'd miscalculated how much slack I was going to need in the liner. The weight of the water (if I continued to fill the pond) was going to pull too tightly on the skimmer. So, I turned off the hose, grabbed a pump and drained the pond so I could rearrange the liner.

That's how things sat at the end of Day 3 (Monday). Not a whole lot accomplished.

At this point we were starting to worry about the koi. We didn't want them in the stock tank too much longer, so I took the day off on Tuesday (I'm self employed. It's cool like that.) to make some real progress on the pond. First thing in the morning I double-checked the liner and (re)started filling the pond. As you can see, I had lots of good help.

pond_07.jpg

And yes. It took FOREVER to fill that freaking pond!

pond_08.jpg

But it did eventually fill, and by lunchtime I was able to get some conditioner in the water and get the pump running.

pond_09.jpg

pond_10.jpg

pond_11.jpg

... continued ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love the shape and you worked the poor doggie to bone tired ,Have to call the doggie labor board and turn you in . :razz: :razz: Great job but maybe should have left yourself some extra liner for settling .I did and glad I did .You sure got a lot done .I had to wait a month for my water to get where I needed it and then I moved the fish .

Reaction score
And by early evening on Tuesday, the water was ready for fish!

pond_12.jpg

That's pretty much how we left it for the rest of the fall and into winter. Phase 1 complete!

When the weather broke this spring, it was time for Phase 2 to begin. But, I was beginning to wonder if I'd gone too big with the new pond. We were starting to attract some interesting guests.

pond_13.jpg

It didn't take long for our three dogs to let the ducks know they weren't welcome in our little backyard aquatic sanctuary, but I digress.

Phase 2 was to add a raised area to the pond to use as a sort of KISS filter. We just used retaining wall block and liner instead of a stock tank. Here it is halfway done.

pond_14.jpg

And here is the pond as it sits today.

pond_15.jpg

I still have some work to do to hide some plumbing and miter cut and fit the cap stones, but I'm in the home stretch! All the plants are in place and doing well (in and out of the pond) and the fish are loving their new home!

Once I get a chance to rent a masonary saw and finish this thing off, I'll post some final pictures of the whole pond. It's been a long journey to this point, but I am glad I did it. This hobby is like crack!

Reaction score
Great job but maybe should have left yourself some extra liner for settling .I did and glad I did .You sure got a lot done .I had to wait a month for my water to get where I needed it and then I moved the fish .

I allowed myself slack for settling, but filling the pond was eating it up quickly. After I drained the pond I readjusted for even MORE slack. Now, months after being filled, everything is good-to-go and not too tight.

As for the water, we saved as much of the old pond water as we had buckets and tanks for and added it back to the pond. Our water here is pretty good and we tested it religiously before adding the fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really never even thought about settling and was not going to cut my liner anyways but just lucky I did not add the top until it was done .I think they should tell you that on the liner packaging so people will know .My filter took awhile to start working as I had to cover the pond with a tarp because they started bush hogging all the lots here and since it was dry here there was lots of dust all over everything .I really like the way you did your filter area and is that a pressurized filter in there and you have water around it with plants .I am going to redo my area and could use a good pic of yours to maybe try on mine , instead of a tank .more pics of it please .I have a plantainer now but you idea peeks my interest .less likely to leak your way .

Reaction score
The pressure filter is buried outside the pond (to the left, outside of the last picture). We have a pump in the skimmer that sends the water through the pressure filter and up into the upper level of the pond. The water then just runs out the waterfall back into the lower part of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I could make that upper pond my filter and put plenty of plants in it to help clean the pond ,almost like a bog .I know since I put some of the grasses in my filter it is cleaner than normal .I could take my retaining wall block across and then make a big round area and still keep the lower area intact .I could use my lava rock in the bottom of it to clean the water and still keep my small dirty water pump in it to clean the built up muck from the bottom

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like the chairs sitting in the middle looks like a time out zone . :razz:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard and great story and build, But I seriously think your will have a phase five. LOL You have koi and the addiction, Those two combined will lead to the bigger pond sooner or later. How many gallons is that one? LOL, when your fish get to be five years old, 500 gallons per fish is really not out of the question. I've got a few over 20" so far and I am really seeing just why they need so much room. I thought my last build was going to be my last, Didn't last two years and they out grew that one as well. Hopefully with this last build I'll be able to keep this one for at least a few years before needing another bigger one!

Reaction score
I'm estimating that this pond is around 2400 gallons total volume. Our biggest koi are pushing 18" now, but if there is a Phase 5, it'll have to be at the next house! ;)

Ask a Question