My Latest Pond Expansion (v4.0) in Pictures

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your pond looks great. I love how you used the blocks to build your wall. Oh yeah, welcome to the forum. You will love all the helpful folks on this site.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
2400 gallons is a good size pond, It didn't look that big in the pics. How many koi do you have? If under six to eight you should be fine for a good while, They may not outgrow that if they aren't jumbo breed fish. Most Koi are purchased through domestic dealers and usually 24" -30" is about all they will usually get. You may see a fish of high quality of Japanese bred that could reach a length more than that but that's not normal for most koi. That's a neat designed pond, I like the walls raised and the center water feature. Looks like a very well planned build that should be a nice pond for many years to come.

Reaction score
The pond itself should be right around 2100-2200 gallons by my calculations (hard to be exact with the curves). The raised section adds another 200 gallons to the system.

All of our koi are domestic, one was even born in our own pond! But, with the ones we inherited we've got 12 total. They're all good for quite a while in this pond. Five of them are in the 8-10" range and the rest are in 15-18" range. Once they really get big we'll have to see.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sounds like a good water fish ratio. But as you see, 18" is really only half grown for a true jumbo koi. I've been keeping koi now for almost 20 years and I've never had a single fish make it to the 24" size. My largest right now is about 22" and the size difference between a 18" and a 22" is a big difference. at about 18"-20" the fish start taking on width not length so much and the weight starts really coming on. I've heard some koi can get in the 30# range, That's hard for my to really understand as my biggest hasn't reached 10# , YET....LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
another-fish-welcome.gif
to the group

Very nice pond and build!

Reaction score
I like the chairs sitting in the middle looks like a time out zone . :razz:

Yeah. We had to do that because we had a Blue Heron that was hopping our little fence and trying to get at the fish. He eventually got one of them, so we had to take extreme measures.

I also wanted to add (in case anyone was wondering) that we have two James Brydon and one Joey Tomocik lilies down in the main pond. The upper level has a Lavender Lady Lotus and some Dwarf Cattails.

james-brydon.JPG

James Brydon

yellowwaterlily.JPG

Joey Tomocik

lavender_lady.jpg

Lavender Lady Lotus

My daughter actually won some photography contests at school with pictures of our lilies. We've been pretty successful with them, so we decided to give our first lotus a shot. The one we picked is HUGE (4-5' tall with 12" flowers), so I'm hoping it takes over the entire upper level of the pond eventually.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great looking pond. You should consider putting in a bog in the circle part. That would be really neat.

Reaction score
Your calculations came up to 2200 gallons? That's what my math showed for my pond which looks like about the same size give or take, but yours doesn't look quite as deep as mine. Is that about 3' deep?

Reaction score
It's impossible to gauge, some of the shots your pond looks like it's 40 across, in others it looks like it's 9'. I really don't know if your pond is anywhere close to the size as mine, but I came up with 2200 for mine. What length and width is it along the fence and deck?

Reaction score
It's a little over 13' long on both sides (fence and patio). The shallow end is 34" deep, and the deep end is around 40" deep. Estimated volume for a 13' x13' square with an average depth of 3' is right at 3950 gallons. Mine is roughly a triangle (half a square), so that puts it at 1975 gallons. Now, my pond's average depth is a little over 3', and it's length and width are slightly longer than 13'. I also pick-up some volume because the third side of my triangle is curved outward (not straight), but then I lose a bit because of the raised section in the middle. That's why I say that it's hard to know exactly without using a meter on the hose during the initial fill-up.

I do know that the raised section is a 6' circle that has a water depth of 18". That puts it just over 300 gallons.

Ask a Question