My new goldfish pond with a 9'9" x 9'9" liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
and yes those are pygmy goats in the backyard had to lock em in the backyard so i could dig without them exploring the hole! 2013-09-14_19-17-59_749.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-09-14_19-17-43_819.jpg
    2013-09-14_19-17-43_819.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 397
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Not yet i plan to order them this weds. I work at a vet clinic and order our supplies. Luckily i get vendor prices on these things didnt realise how expensive this stuff is lol.

Reaction score
That's cool. A lot of members have found that you can get great deals on pumps at Harbor Freight and also that making your own filter is usually cheaper and better. Check out the DIY section fir some great ideas if you feel like you might want to give it a try.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my neighbor has fainting goats ,why not sure ,but they are funny .Uep better to build your own filter and lots on here and step by steps on you tube .I just bought my fishmate pump from pet mountain .com and it was 185 dollars on sale and that is 2250 gph .No tax no shipping and great energy rating 85 watts and head is good and 3 year warranty

Reaction score
That would depend on a number of things, mainly how many fish and what type of filter do you have but I would say, generally, you would want at least 600 gallons per hour rated pump. Yes I kind of pulled this number out of thin air.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could get a 1000 gph I would think .I always go bigger just in case 1250gph and how deep is your pond and what do you plan on keeping in it as that will tell you what size you would want .Look at the watt rating electric rates are not going down .You could go smaller I guess like 600 gph and that all depends on the filter you build and what else you plan on doing with the pond .You are supposed to turn your water over at least once an hour .Also do you plan on the fountain head also working .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
http://www.dannermfg.com/Store/Products/Danner/PID-80445.aspx

Iv Found I can order this pump for roughly 50$ not to bad, My pond is more like 350 gallons Just over 16 inches deep in the middle. Dont have to worry about freezing as temperatures here rarely freezing points. I plan on just keeping goldfish maybe ryukin goldfish or the sarassa's. Maybe just a few of each. I dont wanna load it down.

I do plan on in the future actually making a koi pond, I just have to round up the materials Im going to be using an old pool liner for that its a future project, this is my test pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That may not be a good pump no prefilter so could get clogged fast those are more statuary pumps or for fountains .Fish poo would clog it .You can google pond pumps for the size you want you could get it for around 30 dollars or maybe less .you want one like this and then you can put it in a crate if you want with lava rock in a dollar store bag ontop to keep it from getting clogged as fast .Remember kepp it off the bottom a little so if something happens it does not drain the pond dry
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:39001]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:37538]

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good start on the pond. Will be fun to see what it ends up looking like : )

I love goats. One of the places I used to board my horses had a pet goat. He was the boss of the barn and always getting into trouble. Never lived somewhere I could have them myself though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice start. My honey wants goats, chickens, cows, I said no unless you care for them.

Ask a Question