My plants don't seem all that happy

Reaction score
I did a wild google search and found this:

"Yellowish leaves are a sign of insufficient nutrients in the water; move plants with yellowing leaving to an alternate area and add plant food to their water, rotating with plants left in the pond" ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747+892+783&pcatid=783 )

This matches what Sissy said. Does not really make sense when I considered how well they did previously for me in a tub of water. But, maybe something I will try.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did a wild google search and found this:

"Yellowish leaves are a sign of insufficient nutrients in the water; move plants with yellowing leaving to an alternate area and add plant food to their water, rotating with plants left in the pond" ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=747 892 783&pcatid=783 )

This matches what Sissy said. Does not really make sense when I considered how well they did previously for me in a tub of water. But, maybe something I will try.
That tub of water you had them in previously may have contained a higher concentration of disolved nutrients then your pond water does. That's a beautiful waterfall, by the way. (y)

Reaction score
That tub of water you had them in previously may have contained a higher concentration of disolved nutrients then your pond water does. That's a beautiful waterfall, by the way. (y)

I guess it did. It just sat and I would occasionally pour some tap water to top it off. Here is a pic...
IMG_0947.JPG

Regarding the waterfall - thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I've had the same problem with hyacinth. I believe it to be a water nutrient problem that is exacerbated by my high pH (8.2 - 8.6). My plants that take root in gravel or pots do great, but not hyacinth. I also tried bucketing them with miracle grow, and that helped a lot but I didn't have enough determination to continue with that. At my old house (which had lower pH out of the tap), I had a little 100 gallon tank/pond on the back patio with one goldfish, a simple fountain, and hyacinth. I never saw the fish due to the hyacinth growing like mad.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
had to find my pics and I had to use a concrete mixing tub to hold them all

Attachments

• pee house pond 2012 012.JPG
    pee house pond 2012 012.JPG
    262.3 KB · Views: 192
  • frog and pond 2011 001.JPG
    frog and pond 2011 001.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 209
  • frog and pond 2011 002.JPG
    frog and pond 2011 002.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 242
  • pond 2012 007.JPG
    pond 2012 007.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Meaning that maybe they are not getting enough sun? Compared to where I used to keep them, pre-pond, they got only about an hour's worth of mid-morning light. Maybe they are getting too much now???
Well, they're actually an introduced plant to the US and Canada, but in Florida and Georgia where they're considered invasive, they grow and spread to the point where they choke up the waterways. Most photos I see of them in the wild, they're in full sun all day... ie the everglades.

Reaction score
Mine are a mix of full sun and hardly any sun.

My main pond is pretty much full sun, pretty much RO water (previously well water) - not doing well at all. Every plant has dying bits on them, smallish blooms.

110 gall pond with no fish, just RO water same sun as my main pond - fantastic. They are about 14 - 18 inches tall. Huge, massive blooms. Today 6 blooms.

35 gall tub with guppies and platys RO water, not much sun - fantastic! very tall stems, blooms every day.

Total mystery.

The place I buy them from is full sun, pond full of tilapia and salty water (brackish).

Why won't they grow for me????? Disney uses them to clean their waste water!!!!!! How bad can the water in my pond be?????

Reaction score
Well, my experiment failed because I can't seem to do simple math. I placed the plants in the separate tub and added some pond water along with some Miracle Grow (MG) but somewhere along the lines I believe I added messed up the math when calculating the number of gallons of water and amount of MG to add as 2 days later pretty much all the plants were dark brown and almost dead. I believe I added way to much MG and killed the plants. :( I don't remember exactly what the numbers were but I do remember at the time thinking to myself, "that sure seems like too much MG...???" but assumed that my calculations were correct. I guess not.

This weekend I will see if my local stores still have any hyacinths but I am guessing not. I will probably have to wait and try again next Spring. sigh....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bummer, one of the reasons I only keep hardies that like our area. If it does not make the winter, it does not get to live in our yard.

Ask a Question