j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't know why for sure but think they just rotted in the soil from too much wet. It's not that cold here so thinking that can't be it. Even a tree Hibiscus died.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My knockout roses made it, but the two roses that have been really pretty on the bottom of the waterfall edge did not come back. Must have been too cold and since their "bed" is about 12" above ground level, it was too cold for them this year, I guess. I remembered today I planted about 20 Oxalis plants (look like burgandy shamrock plants with pretty white flowers) last year, and not one of them has come back this year. I'm pretty sure they were supposed to be perennial, but maybe I am wrong. They were very pretty, loved them last year! May have to grow a bunch again, so easy to put the bulb in the ground, and they grew up through the soil within a few days.
Where did you get the oxalis?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got the bulbs last spring at Menards, T'mann. They were pretty small, size of a penny maybe, but they were beginning to sprout in the bag, so I just HAD to buy them. Each and every one of them grew, and I was sure they were hardy, but maybe not! I may just try them again this year, they were a burgandy leaf, and pretty white flowers.
JW, I think you got hibiscus seeds from others who have hardy ones, right? Because I bought a couple of plants from the nursery, and those around here are ALWAYS tropical, only survive outside or inside for the cold months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tmann, your pond looks great! CE, I lost a flowering shrub we have had for about 12 years and it looks like a climbing rose bush we have had forever is a goner. I never lost anything before so I have to blame it on the past winter. At least my hat palm made it. It's a tropical and they say it can't last Chicago winters and it comes back every year in my pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The few moments I was home I noticed some ground level growth on a few bushes I thought were goners, give it some time Keith it might come back. I am waiting to see if my cape myrtles will come back, so far look dead, but they might come back from the roots.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep CE I got the seeds for the Hibuscus from Larkin and they grew nicely while in the pots but when I put them outside they didn't like it here and died. Addy has the same ones and hers are alive and kicking. Think mine rotted from wetness.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep CE I got the seeds for the Hibuscus from Larkin and they grew nicely while in the pots but when I put them outside they didn't like it here and died. Addy has the same ones and hers are alive and kicking. Think mine rotted from wetness.

Yeah could not believe it is coming back after this winter. But I did see shoots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, my crepe myrtles have not come back yet, and I noticed yesterday some growth from the base of the 2nd of my 4 butterfly bushes. One is growing, now I have one more showing growth, so I guess I'm not going to give up on anything until the end of June.
Keith, what kind of "hat palm" do you have in your pond that comes back every year? Truthfully, I think the ponds/bogs saved plants last winter, rather than froze them. Just my opinion, as nothing in my bogs or pond did not come back. In fact, one of my lilies that I put in the basement in a tub of water, with a light on it for 12 hours a day seems to be dead now that it's in the pond. I suspect it is the tropical one, and maybe I put it out too soon? But, water temps were very warm when I put it out there. Very strange! And, other lilies are growing, but none are going crazy just yet, all leaves are still red, none are green, and all are small in comparison to what they will look like once they are growing well. Just a much slower start this spring than last spring, but considering we had 80's in March last year might have something to do with that! LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am ignoring all the dead looking plants, they may come back, end of june they will be chopped down if not back by then. I have severe deer damage and cold damage.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some pics of my yard/pond

P1060094.JPG
P1060095.JPG
P1060096.JPG
P1060097.JPG
P1060098.JPG
P1060099.JPG
P1060100.JPG
P1060101.JPG
P1060102.JPG

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow Tmann! You've created a whole world of your own back there - really impressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
It looks fantastic. I looked at the pics over and over again. I like it much better when the pics are full view like you posted them, so I can scroll up and down. Your new area is really coming along! I think if my yard is ever full of plants, I will definitely have to move, and start all over somewhere else!
In your last pic, with the white pipe sticking out, is that a bog? If so, I didn't know that coleus grew well in a bog situation! LOVE the blue hosta under the Japanese maple, great color contrast! And, please tell me again the name of your tree in your pond, and if you leave it there year round. Looks like a cypress. CometKeith has one, too. I think they are so neat!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks fantastic. I looked at the pics over and over again. I like it much better when the pics are full view like you posted them, so I can scroll up and down. Your new area is really coming along! I think if my yard is ever full of plants, I will definitely have to move, and start all over somewhere else!
In your last pic, with the white pipe sticking out, is that a bog? If so, I didn't know that coleus grew well in a bog situation! LOVE the blue hosta under the Japanese maple, great color contrast! And, please tell me again the name of your tree in your pond, and if you leave it there year round. Looks like a cypress. CometKeith has one, too. I think they are so neat!
Yes the white pvc sticking up is my clean out on my bog and the coleus is an experiment this year, they have been in their for about 2 weeks now and seem to be doing quite well and growing. I also have one in one of the creeks which gets quite a bit of sun and now showing any signs of too much sun. The tree in the pond is a cypress it is about 8 years old and I do leave it in their all year. Only problem i have is now that it has gotten bigger it has a tendancy during high winds to fall over, so about a week ago I tied it to my bridge to keep it from blowing over. It is in a 10g pot i believe, and I trim the roots as they find their way out of the pot.

Ask a Question