My second bigger pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks sissy I've been looking overflow drainage up online and it may be a good idea to rig some sort of screen up or larger rocks with smaller pebbles in the drain itself so my fish dont think about visiting "dry land". Granted I have a foot and a half yet before the water would get to over flow...just dont want to take any chances since I dont have all of my rocks yet. Darn rain anyhow we've been having has made me accelerate what needs to get done! I dont know how but I bet I have 20 earth worms at the bottom of the pond...sure wish I could put my fish in there cuz they would love them!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh this thing is fiberglass and used as a yard drain .It has a fiberglass grid that screws into the pipe I found it in the drainage section of lowes where they keep all the weeping pipes for drain fields around basement foundations and happened to see it right after I bought my sump pump hose for the pond .Been over 4 years ago when i looked back that i bought the first sump pump hose and no problems with it in all this time ,still the same hose and just bought more for the other pump and stock tanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first picture is my diy bio filter. The second picture is where the water would be had I stepped one more foot the my left lol. The pond is alittle "green" yet but I think I got the filter in just in time before it got really crumby. I finished the filter last night and started it when it was dark but comparing pictures of the water yesterday (and yes I had to add our city water to it to top off the last 12 inches) the water looks alot better this morning...cant wait to get the rock work, my waterfall and landscaping done since mother nature decided it wanted water in my new pond NOW (7" of rain last week)..and get my fish moved into their new pond!!!

Attachments

• P8081433.JPG
    P8081433.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 237
  • P8081441.JPG
    P8081441.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 293
  • P8081458.JPG
    P8081458.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 276
  • P8081457.JPG
    P8081457.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 298
  • P8081452.JPG
    P8081452.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 257

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
looking good and water always looks bad when you first get it going but that looks better than some I have seen .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
question...would adding some of my older ponds water to the new one help out with the good stuff in my new pond???

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep I added as much from my old pond as I could .Every time I did a water change in small pond I pumped the water across from the old pond to the new one .It helps add good bacteria to the filter and to the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks sissy...I'm exstatic just getting this far! I'm going to add more plants to it today that have been waiting patiently for me to get this far and hope I didnt put my lotus that I've have in a small tank to far down into this pond. I know my fish kids are going to love their new home. I'll let it do it's thing for a week before I introduce them to this one though, argh it's going to kill me to wait! I want them home now!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wonder if I would bring over one of the filters from my other pond to this diy filter if that would help?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep did that too .like jump starting a battery .I used some lava rock from my old filter and a filter pad and then tested the water every day 2 times a day once in the morning and then once at night .Once I saw ph did not change then I added the crushed oyster shells .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sweet thanks thats what I'm gonna go do now...get one of the old filters from the other pond and make a trip to wally world to get another to replace the one I'm taking.

Reaction score
What are you hoping to accomplish with all those rocks? The water will hold the liner down. As the pond is filling I would be pulling up on the liner to get out the wrinkles and slack. Those rocks are going to create dead spots where debris will collect. I would take them all out. My opion based on some experience.

Reaction score
Moving over dirty water won't bring many beneficial bacteria with it but using established filter media might. However, since there are no fish in the tank and it doesn't seem like you will be adding ammonia, they won't have any food so they won't multiply anyway. Although there may be some "food" for them in the dirty water you transfer over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well did some moving of what rocks I did have around the pond...need ALOT more dirt and rocks yet, and moved some more plants in/around the pond. The water seems to be abit more green today even with the filter going and getting in is slippery and made for me holding onto the side to move around my lotus! I just keep plugin along...

Attachments

• P8101467.JPG
    P8101467.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 263
  • P8101476.JPG
    P8101476.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 220

Ask a Question