nasty spigot

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Haven't yet turned on water to aqueduct b/c of a nasty spigot leak. It involves the rear of the spigot that no one talks about. I took it to plumbing supply co and they said whatever it is called has a set screw and plumbers break off the set screw to prevent vandalism. That means it has to be drilled out. Well, it was in an awkward location where the drill couldn't fit so long story short, damaged spigot threads so now I have to rip out dry wall and install everything, which I'm about to do soon. you can see where i tried to drill it out and then cut with dremel; not very pretty sight!

On a good note, I finished building a sailboat and sailed it today, my first ever experience at sailing; surprised how easy it was and it came right back to me

BTW, I'm going to build a marine railway and cradle car for the sailboat so it can be properlylaunched

Attachments

• xDSC05702.jpg
    xDSC05702.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 268
  • xxDSC05707.jpg
    xxDSC05707.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 251

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That's just a vacuum breaker that was added to your faucet
If the bottom face were the hose washer tighten up to is still smooth clean the threads with a file and put a new vac breaker on it

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Well, didn't see your reply early enough but I did try a new vacuum on and must be the threads were so damaged that water spewed out the side and out the hole where the set screw is (plumbers recommended not even using the set screw).

So I went into the house and removed drywall and cut the 1/2" line to put an entire new spigot in place. But the old one I found out requires removing the vinyle siding, something I don't know how to do. (since the spigot is screwed in place on a horizontal 2x4 running between the studs and has a wide face plate which is tucked under 2 layers of siding.

The project keeps getting bigger and bigger. What a mess! All b/c of a lousy set screw.
\
Hopefully siding isn't hard to remove and goes back on easily!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Our home is 20 years old and has anti freeze self draining outdoor faucets that are soldered to the in wall copper water supply line. These particular models provided not reliable. Fix kits were not generally available. To have one replace would cost $350 or more based on the exterior brick work required. I have tried multiple DIY corrections to mixed results. Since these faucets only leak when turned on I've learned to live with the problem.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
well, just when you think you've got it bad and feel sorry for yourself, you find someone else has it a lot worse; sorry to hear

Ask a Question