Wanted Native AZ Frogs/Tadpoles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Looking for native frogs/tadpoles (preferably tadpoles) for my Phoenix area pond.

If you don't have any, do you know a supplier?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you're hoping to introduce frogs to your pond and get them to stay, you might be disappointed. We have frogs show up and leave on a pretty regular basis. They kind of do what they want. We can buy bullfrog tadpoles here, but there's no guarantee they will stick around once they're full grown frogs. In fact, we've noticed that we will only have one bullfrog at a time in our pond - they're territorial hunters it appears - so the others would be forced to move on. And the bullfrogs tend to leave too, once they've wiped out all the other frogs. And once the big bully is gone, more frogs will show up. It's one big cycle!

You could try finding yourself some in the wild and bringing them home - then if they leave you won't be out any money!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I had a pond there I ordered tadpoles, then my late husband went out to a local mud hole and gathered up some bullfrogs, they ate all the cute little frogs I had then left.

Those bull frogs where huge!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Here in the desert, frogs have a tendency not to travel (although they may leave during our monsoon season), especially if introduced as tadpoles.
No bullfrogs. Bullfrogs are an invasive specie in AZ and as addy1 said, they eat everything including frogs lizards, rodents, fish, etc, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Might be best to wait before trying to mail frogs, your forecast is for brutal heat for some time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here in the desert, frogs have a tendency not to travel (although they may leave during our monsoon season), especially if introduced as tadpoles.

Interesting! I guess that makes sense, as they probably realize that another water source may not be easy to find. Here the frogs can hop half a block and be in another pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Might be best to wait before trying to mail frogs, your forecast is for brutal heat for some time

If someone has a supplier, I could then decide to wait or not after conferring with the supplier.
The risk is not the temperatures if the frogs/tadpoles were in the pond; it is the delivery truck (whether USPS, UPS or FedEx) sitting in the hot sun while the driver has lunch, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States

Reaction score
Country
United States
No bullfrogs. Bullfrogs are an invasive specie in AZ and as addy1 said, they eat everything including frogs lizards, rodents, fish, etc, etc.
Check with Fish and Game before you do anything like that in Arizona. It is illegal to own many native frogs like Leopard frogs. Phoenix has Lowland Leopard frogs but they are protected

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're hoping to introduce frogs to your pond and get them to stay, you might be disappointed. We have frogs show up and leave on a pretty regular basis. They kind of do what they want. We can buy bullfrog tadpoles here, but there's no guarantee they will stick around once they're full grown frogs. In fact, we've noticed that we will only have one bullfrog at a time in our pond - they're territorial hunters it appears - so the others would be forced to move on. And the bullfrogs tend to leave too, once they've wiped out all the other frogs. And once the big bully is gone, more frogs will show up. It's one big cycle!

You could try finding yourself some in the wild and bringing them home - then if they leave you won't be out any money!
Could be a federal offence

Reaction score
Country
United States
Leopard frogs travel up to 6 miles and bullfrogs 10+. I've been studying CHIRICAHUA Leopard frogs for a few years now, also with Fish and Game.

Ask a Question