JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another ambush bug and swallowtail today... and a close-up of a gray-headed coneflower.

IMG_1764 copy.jpg

IMG_1825 copy.jpg

IMG_1775 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I’m enjoying butterflies on my flowers in Ohio, too! My native corner just got seedlings planted this spring, from seeds/plants collected along the roads in IL before we moved.
More captions on individual photos.
1141DDD7-700A-4A26-BCD7-3F608C2C4D5F.jpeg
This is the top side of a Black Morph Tiger Swallowtail on one of 3 Proven Winner Pugster series butterfly bushes. Since this is a hybrid, only has 2% chance of seeds germinating, which is important to me since the old fashioned butterfly bushes are so aggressive with reseeding
D597B642-BD12-4BF0-A2D9-3B1636506141.jpeg
This is a side view of the black morph tiger. See the black stripes?
3FD1B987-78F1-4E0B-B09B-7A8F918C4585.jpeg

Two Tiger Swallowtails … Black Morph above, typical Tiger below.
97D53C05-D824-4F5E-BA83-2F47646107ED.jpeg

Skipper on hibiscus flower
901D2F2E-6794-40E2-A594-8D0C21A078F9.jpeg

This plant was called a yellow coneflower, but the scientific name indicated a rudebekia (black eyed Susan), so …
64C12A6A-25F9-4EE0-BE3E-3274DF8BD0B4.jpeg

Cardinal lobelia in my pond bog
708DCF76-4021-45E5-9BD9-17620FD82DC4.jpeg

Nodding onion. My first year with this native. Hoping it increases next year so I can distribute it among the coneflowers and black eyed Susan’s for some white flowers.
04BBF0AB-14AC-403E-AC00-014B9F24ED2A.jpeg

And only second time ever seeing a Zebra Swallowtail, both times on the Pugster butterfly bushes. First sighting was last year, and this one this year, about a week ago.
409DFFF8-4277-4A08-8C1F-9681B0A70CB7.jpeg

Zebra Swallowtail. The “tails” are at least 2” long! And yes it’s green with black stripes, and a red stripe.
D38E0632-DEC0-4BA6-B9DE-1DC7C475E6DB.jpeg

Was super excited these red monarda seeds germinated. I grabbed them along a mountain road in the Smokie Mountains last fall, and then winter sowed them! They are laying on the ground, got too tall, so hoping they are stronger next year, or I’ll move them to be among other stronger tall plants to help hold them up.

Reaction score
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great shot of that soldier beetle. Do you get lightning beetles/fireflies too?

Your native plant gardens looks amazing. I grow a wide variety of California native plants... and I also grow some Midwest prairie plants too. I have a patch of three different species of Silphium that blooms nicely every Summer.

Thanks! Yes, we have lightning bugs here. I didn't see as many this year as I did the year before, but they were definitely around.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had milkweed beetles this year, look like oversized ladybugs. They wiped out my swamp milkweed. Then the tussocks came and stripped the regular milkweed. Now the monarchs are here and not a lot of places to lay eggs. They don't seem to like the butterfly weed plants this year. Have 45 large cats in a cage, over half in chrysalis stage, a big tray of tiny cats and a tray of eggs on leaves. With all the bird feeders, the caterpillars don't stand a chance here. The tussock cats are neat looking but they can strip a big milkweed plant in a couple of hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had milkweed beetles this year, look like oversized ladybugs. They wiped out my swamp milkweed. Then the tussocks came and stripped the regular milkweed. Now the monarchs are here and not a lot of places to lay eggs. They don't seem to like the butterfly weed plants this year. Have 45 large cats in a cage, over half in chrysalis stage, a big tray of tiny cats and a tray of eggs on leaves. With all the bird feeders, the caterpillars don't stand a chance here. The tussock cats are neat looking but they can strip a big milkweed plant in a couple of hours.
That is a shame about your milkweed, but wonderful that you are still seeing Monarchs at all. I might have seen one in my garden this year... or it might have been a Gulf Fritillary, they are doing well on my Passionflowers.

Growing milkweeds and avoiding pesticides is important. I've managed to keep a few different milkweed plants alive, including one small patch of a local native species (Asclepias fascicularis), but still no caterpillars.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had milkweed beetles this year, look like oversized ladybugs. They wiped out my swamp milkweed. Then the tussocks came and stripped the regular milkweed. Now the monarchs are here and not a lot of places to lay eggs.

It's important to remember that swamp milkweed leaf beetles and tussock moth caterpillars are just like monarchs - they need milkweed to survive. Don't feel too bad about them getting to the milkweed before the monarchs did. The milkweed is still doing its job! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The monarchs are really into egg laying. I go out twice a day to bring in more cuttings and I've had the females land on the cuttings in my hand and lay eggs!
I bought some plants from this group, almost 2 feet tall, great shape.

They will ship milkweed to you if you have cats that need it. They ship in one day if feeding cats.

Ask a Question