NaturalAire blue filter vs green filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is one better than the other? I have purchased the green colored NaturalAire filter (24 x 36 x 1) and cut it to fit a milk crate that I'll be using with lava rock and poly batting. After reading some other posts, I only see people using the blue NaturalAire. No mention of the green. Does anyone know the difference and is there a preference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The green appears to do pet dander too so it must have a tighter weave then the blue. They should both work fine, the green will filter more but also get clogged easier depending on the debris your filtering. Pond filters do the same, they have coarse to fine, some will use them together and some separate depend on the needs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the blue and green but the green had a tendency to fall apart fast and clog up faster and was harder to clean with the hose .The blue ones i have had for years and the green ones bit the dust the first year

Attachments

• pond leak or  plants 028.JPG
    pond leak or plants 028.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
I have the blue and green but the green had a tendency to fall apart fast and clog up faster and was harder to clean with the hose .The blue ones i have had for years and the green ones bit the dust the first year
Interesting.
As I think you know I bought a whole roll of the blue stuff and have been using it instead of quit batting because I was having a problem with the durability of the quilt batting. The blue stuff certainly is more durable, in fact, I've been washing it with my pressure washer instead of a spray hose and it seems to be able to take it just fine. The quilt batting would never stand up to the blasting streams a pressure washer would inflict. Only problem is it doesn't seem to filter out as much of the fine particles that the quilt batting did. Not that the fish are complaining or anything. Although I did notice my turtle giving me a shifty look the other day. :shifty: But I digress...
Being able to use the pressure wash has cut the washing time down to about a tenth of what it use to take, and if that blue stuff continues to hold up as well as it has been, that roll will last me my entire life. (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use what is called a water nozzle that lowes sells .Higher pressure from my hose .I have had some of mine for over 10 years .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
i agree with sissy, i used the green filter as a pre-filter over the in-pond pump. (a milk case that i wrapped w/green filter.) when cut-to-fit, it had 100's of loose nylon filaments that quickly clogged my filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Than
The green appears to do pet dander too so it must have a tighter weave then the blue. They should both work fine, the green will filter more but also get clogged easier depending on the debris your filtering. Pond filters do the same, they have coarse to fine, some will
The green appears to do pet dander too so it must have a tighter weave then the blue. They should both work fine, the green will filter more but also get clogged easier depending on the debris your filtering. Pond filters do the same, they have coarse to fine, some will use them together and some separate depend on the needs.

Thanks for info info here. I started with the green and it is working like a dream. I did already replace it once, but the water needed filtering badly when I started. I replaced the filter 2 weeks ago and it is marvelous. The water is clear, my fish are happy fish and I'm a happy Pisces!

Reaction score
Country
United States

For now I am having good luck with the green. I started with the green, and also used batting and red lava rock. I saw it on another post somewhere. The batting was NOT a good idea. Filaments of batting got into the pump causing the propeller to stop turning. I was able to get it cleaned out. I replaced the green filter about 2 weeks ago (initially the pond had a lot of stuff to filter out so the green filter was pretty full of gunk). The water is clear as a bell now and my fish are happy! Cheap, easy and is working great! If I find the green is not holding up, I will try the blue and see how it does. Thanks again for the info.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, I don't think the quilt batting was ever intended to go into the pond to surround the pump! Maybe I'm wrong...... But I always thought it was like a "fines" filter that was the final stage of mechanical filtering.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my blue filter on top of my quilt batting and blue picks up the heavy stuff and quilt batting picks up the heavy stuff .This way quilt batting does not get clogged up as fast ..I fold the blue stuff in half in the crate and quilt batting under it and under that a bag with lava rock in it .Plus the filter tank has lava rock in it .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
matala-filter-media.jpg
Is one better than the other? I have purchased the green colored NaturalAire filter (24 x 36 x 1) and cut it to fit a milk crate that I'll be using with lava rock and poly batting. After reading some other posts, I only see people using the blue NaturalAire. No mention of the green. Does anyone know the difference and is there a preference?

I recently had a client call me for an "emergency", a catastrophic leak whereby the pond was virtually emptied within a period of less than 24hrs. This person suspected that a line had burst, a fitting had failed, the liner had a massive hole or that the waterfall had leaked.

I soon found that the worn filter material in the AquaScape MiniFalls waterfall filter had been replaced (worn out and ragged from too much cleaning, I suspect, and the liner sold with the unit isn't that great to begin with) with quilt batting purchased from an aquarium outlet.

The incoming water from the bottom of the waterfall filter pushed the quilt batting up, against the flagstone cover and had blocked the waterfall filter weir. The pump kept on a-pumpin' merrily away, the pond water doing a great job of watering the bone-dry lawn.

Didn't suspect it right away as the surrounding lawn was dry, as was the mulched soil surrounding the waterfall weir.

I replaced the quilt batting with proper Matala (AquaScape brand) woven mesh, cut to friction fit into the existing waterfall filter. That stuff won't fall apart and can be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. I myself wouldn't use a filter designed for air filtration for water filtration.

Black = coarse weave
Green = medium weave
Blue = fine weave

Green is by far the most effective in most set-ups. If used in tandem, they're generally used with a black under a green, or a green under a blue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, I don't think the quilt batting was ever intended to go into the pond to surround the pump! Maybe I'm wrong...... But I always thought it was like a "fines" filter that was the final stage of mechanical filtering.
Yeah, I figured that out after the fact. Lol! Guess it's called "Trial by Fire" and "Live and Learn". Thankfully, it didn't burn my pump out from the batting filaments wound around he propeller.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use only the blue .I put the quilt batting under the blue filter pad .The blue picks up the heavy stuff and the quilt batting the fine stuff

Attachments

• pond second lily flower 7-31-15 015.JPG
    pond second lily flower 7-31-15 015.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 264

Ask a Question