Nature & Wildlife Thread

B

Burd

I wonder what the pine cones are for. Now I wish I didn't burn all the wine box scraps in the fire pit. I could have used the thin pine to make some up.
I saw some bees going in the good this past summer, I left it alone. Not sure where they went.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went in the woods today to see how the stream was flowing after yesterday's heavy rain. It was flowing pretty good. I've seen the water higher, but it was definitely rushing pretty good for the size of it.

The town is working on creating a new park directly ahead of this first image just outside of the woods. It's expected to be a pretty busy and loud park. They want to host kids soccer games, bands, and have movie nights and many other events. I'm torn on this, for obvious reasons. This isn't new information and I think I've posted about it once or twice before. Part of me understands how nice this will be for the community, and far better than businesses going up there, but the farm field that used to be there served as a bit of a buffer zone between the quiet woodland and the noisy town. That park will definitely add some noise to the peaceful woodland.
IMG_7329 copy.jpg

IMG_7304 copy.jpg

IMG_7321 copy.jpg

IMG_7284 copy.jpg

Last night, I learned of the town's plan to add a paved bike path through the woods to connect both parks together. I've heard rumors of this for years, but finally saw the plan, with no set date. This is another thing that I both like and dislike. The paved path will be great for the many walkers, joggers, and bicyclists we have around here, and I hope it eventually connects to the very popular recreational trail and habitat restoration they've been working on for the last 16 years and will complete early this year. However, this is also one of the only mostly-untouched pine woodlands in the area, and it'll be a little sad to see pavement in the woods. On top of that, I know foot traffic will significantly rise with a paved trail leading from park to park. I've always liked that this wasn't a very busy place, and I'm sure animals have, too.

Lastly, the map shows that this trail will be added to the already over-saturated trail system, rather than replace an already-existing trail. I hope the town works on improving the trail system and removes some trails and creates more of a large loop, rather than a bunch of trails winding all over the place. It's great that this woodland is being preserved, but it also needs to fulfill it's purpose to wildlife. Sometimes, they forget about that.

With that being said, I'm sure I'll be one of the bicyclists using it whenever it finally happens, I just hope they go about doing it in the best way possible. On the bright side, the farm field on the other side of the park is one step closer to being turned into a prairie restoration. That'll be nice!

B

Burd

It rained here since Monday, last night it froze, the ground fault tripped since all the rain, the Bird Bath was frozen and all the seed in my new feeder was froze down solid. The birds looked like they didn't know what to do. Lol. Also my bubbler for the pond is on the same circuit. I was out there working on everything at 7:30 am. All back in Buss, what a pain. Lol
It was 60° yesterday. It was unreal.

B

Burd

image.jpg
I'm making 2 Bee Hotels, the center will get the tubes, top and the 4x4's will get drilled with diff size holes.
The thin sides are from Wine Boxes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had a beaver come in the yard last night. Found it this morning , the dogs ( mostly) won that fight, and I’m now trying my hand at tanning a hide. I’d have preferred they not tangle with the wildlife except coyotes, so they’ll now be hooked up on a run. This was the last straw for them running free. I’m not keen on armidilos, opossum, moles, and such in the yard, but they can’t keep fighting all the random animals.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’d have preferred they not tangle with the wildlife except coyotes, I’m not keen on armidilos, opossum, moles, and such in the yard, but they can’t keep fighting all the random animals.

Native wildlife species of all kinds (including coyotes, armadillos, opossums, and moles) deserve our respect and responsibility as pet owners to make sure our domestic animals aren't killing native species. Death is not the sole solution to conflicts with wildlife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Which is why they are getting locked up. They are supposed to sound the alarm, and maybe chase back the coyotes. Not tackle strange creatures. As for armadillos, if they sound the alarm, and dads free to go out, he thins the population as they are problematic here. The moles are new, but the cats haven’t caught on to how to catch them yet. So the side of my driveway is getting all messed up.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another trip into the woods today. Photo taken at the exact same location as my last post. You can see things have changed quite a bit. No snow and a lower water flow.

IMG_7366 copy.jpg

IMG_7371 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mountain Lion was spotted again about 33 miles north of me. Last week it was a little closer. Might be trekking north now. So weird that a cougar is in this part of the state, since the closest state to have a population of them in South Dakota. We occasionally get one or two in the state, but they're always in the north or west, never in this area. Was hoping it would head a little further south so I could pet it. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I saw that cougar peaking inside the window of that house in Brookfield - how cool is that! Without the security camera they would have never known he was there. You think he's headed north? I warn my dogs every time they go outside to keep an eye out for the big kitty! haha!

I guess you were right - north and west at last probable sighting:

http://fox6now.com/2018/02/27/dnr-v...kely-the-same-caught-on-camera-in-brookfield/

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw that cougar peaking inside the window of that house in Brookfield - how cool is that!

I'm jealous of those people. Too bad they missed seeing it. I'd love to look out my window and see that staring back at me. Wonder what my cat would think if she saw that. :eek:

Ask a Question