Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I am not sure if many will remember but a while back I had a flood disaster that wreaked havoc on my Koi pond and caused most of the adults to perish or be swept out to the wild both of which is bad but, I was feeding the Koi in the koi only pond and started counting the little guys and after about 25 recounts I realized there were actually approx 30 offspring that were too small to see at the time of the flood. So apparently the adults had bred and the baby survived the flood and the winter so nice to have something still to hang on to since I was really attached to those Koi as the big ones were my first ever and I had them for their entire lives. Still sad that some died but I did not let their deaths be in vain since I learned a lot from that incident and now have a full prevention and protection system to ensure a natural disaster is not a problem in the future. The spillway and flood wall have been tested a few times already with one storm being worse than the one that destroyed before so they are safer now :) but I still miss gold and black Koi who was special and have not found one with a similar pattern yet :( . Anyway hopefully after this stormy weather passes and the filters have time to catch up and clear the water I will get the GoPro underwater setup out and get some footage of the little guys in the pond :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember you flooding and glad some survived it .I think that is why a lot of states are implementing laws on ponds in any area that can flood .To many of these pond fish getting in to lakes and streams .I know here there is a law maker trying to get the law past that will stop ponds being built with in a certain distance to the Dan River and Bedford lake and heard that may also include the Smith Mountain lake area also .He wants all existing ground level ponds inspected in flood areas and changed to partially above ground ponds

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Remember you flooding and glad some survived it .I think that is why a lot of states are implementing laws on ponds in any area that can flood .To many of these pond fish getting in to lakes and streams .I know here there is a law maker trying to get the law past that will stop ponds being built with in a certain distance to the Dan River and Bedford lake and heard that may also include the Smith Mountain lake area also .He wants all existing ground level ponds inspected in flood areas and changed to partially above ground ponds
Luckily the next body of water downstream of me is also my property which is a reservoir so I can at least ensure it remains a closed loop so they don't make it all the way to a river or such. I have tried to find them in the reservoir but it always has at least several tens of thousands of gallons of water and is about 14 feet in the middle so hard to find a Koi in that

Ask a Question