neat read on dragonflies

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I will, I have been diligent about it all summer since I first put the feeder outside. No starving hummingbirds on my watch. And the site I looked at indicated that this was just for the Gulf Coast as there are some that don't migrate so I wouldn't be keeping them here, just helping the ones who already stay. I wouldn't want to alter their normal behavior.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning out my quilt batting filter, it was full of small dragonfly nymphs which I carefully picked out before washing out the batting. I tossed them all back in the pond and as they wiggled around in all directions the fish came in and started gulping them down in exquisite delight.
Those nymphs didn't look much like very fierce predators to me. :p

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought about this article today..... I was watching a wasp chasing a hummingbird away from one of the feeders. It's usually a short flight, then back to the feeder, but this time the 2 were flying all around the yard in an extended chase. I've never seen a chase last that long!

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I kept two quart size feeders full, sometimes they would empty them every other day. One Time I had a hummer on every perch and a group waiting their landing turn. We would get so many neat hummers all different types

Here we get one type only, the ruby red throat.

Hmm it says I can keep a feeder up and have some winter hummingbirds. The Baton Rouge Audubon Society has also asked that if I see them in the feeder from Nov-Feb to report it to them as they are tracking the winter birds. So yay, let's see what happens.

Ask a Question