neat water iris, first lily bloom, day lily loves the bog!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh My, simply lovely Iris's. They are one of my most favorite flowering plants. I tried to float some rhizomed in a floating planter...and they rotted. I may have to try planting them in kitty litter and then floating them. They are regular iris's. Is there a difference?

:goldfish:

I have heard there are water iris and land iris, I have some "land" iris in the pond, doing fine, and "water" iris in the pond and bog both doing fine. Guess it depends on the plant.

The ones in the pond have about 6-8 inches of water over their crown, planted in kitty litter. It is neat to see them in the winter, green iris sticking up out of the snow.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
There are Irises that are water irises, like the yellow flag, which will grow also in damp soil too. There are hundreds of different irises that have different growing habits, and lots can "cross over" to water. Some will tolerate only limited amount of water, barely over crown, well others like the yellow flag, can grow in quite deep water.

Reaction score
addy- how long did it take for your fire crackers to bloom? I have several plants I started w/ seeds 2 years ago and nothing yet. just wondering

Reaction score
I can't believe your pond addy ! It's gorgeous...

I was wondering also how long does it take for the iris to open... i have the "buttons" out for 2 weeks now but no change at all...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy- how long did it take for your fire crackers to bloom? I have several plants I started w/ seeds 2 years ago and nothing yet. just wondering

I started out with a plant in a two inch pot, lowes almost dead section, two years ago, the plant is now around 2x2 feet. It bloomed the year after I planted it. Sorry no clue on starting from seed.

I can't believe your pond addy ! It's gorgeous...

I was wondering also how long does it take for the iris to open... i have the "buttons" out for 2 weeks now but no change at all...

Thanks rivermist, I love going out there, everyday something else to look at.

These are the bog day lilies.

DSC03853.jpg

DSC03852.jpg

the c lucifer are now opening all over, bright red, the hummers love them

DSC03842.jpg

cone flowers starting to open

DSC03844.jpg

My iris bloomed a month or so ago. The day lilies are now opening. The day lily buttons have been there for about two weeks now, just started opening.

Reaction score
Oh addy1, your bog flowers are B E A U T I F U L!!!! :luxlove: I love Lowes Distressed aka almost dead section or as I call it "The Almost Dead Zone," I have gotten some very good deals there including many Daylillies. There must be a couple different types though, some are like yours, tall stems for 3-4 blossoms and others are a single stem w small leaves trailing up the stem to 4-5 blossoms. I have some of each, although the ones like yours are blooming for me now. I can see how the hummingbirds just love your bog. My hat's off to you. :bowdown: Simply gorgeous ;)

:goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5534.JPG
    DSCF5534.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 276
  • DSCF5556.JPG
    DSCF5556.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DSCF5409.JPG
    DSCF5409.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 250

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got a pretty dwarf lily I bought from Lowes last year from...............I call it Death Row and it's just starting to bloom. I want more of those dwarf one's in different colors. So far I have a pretty pink and an oj one, both off of Death Row!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am thinking of trying a few of the c lucifer in the bog next year, never know they may do well, I love the bright red flowers and they sure do spread! but easy to remove if get to plentiful

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the Crocosmia in the orange color and man can that stuff spread! I moved it to it's very own circle garden where it can do whatever it likes now. Don't know if mine is going to bloom this year or not as I may have shocked it when I moved it in early Spring. The hummingbirds love that stuff!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Addy your flowers look so natural and colorful, you sure got lots going on down there! I picked up some new plants yesterday for the rock garden, been busy trying to get everything done, there's always so much to do on my day off, how do you keep up? You must work from morning to night! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy your flowers look so natural and colorful, you sure got lots going on down there! I picked up some new plants yesterday for the rock garden, been busy trying to get everything done, there's always so much to do on my day off, how do you keep up? You must work from morning to night! :)

early retirement!

spring is the worse, with the rush of weeds, once those are under control I just piddle out there. The plants are all perennials. I only have a few annuals in the pots on the deck.

I love being outside piddling as my honey calls it. The pond takes hardly any care time.

I can spend hours just enjoying the yard, Love the smells the best perfume shop in the world. Just stand there and breath deep! nothing can be better than that in this world. (the housework suffers lol)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Gosh wow so pretty, I def have to spice up my pond with some of that I love all the plant growth in yall ponds. My first year of pond work was fixing all the issues from me not doing things correctly as well as building multiple different types of filters... This year now that I have most of that worked out I cant wait to get some plant growth. Iv been reading over all the posts and noting all the different types of plants you guys have in your ponds.

Some are so pretty.

Ask a Question