neat water iris, first lily bloom, day lily loves the bog!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
water iris soft pink\kirk strawn, it holds the bloom straight up. Planted last year, this is the first time it has bloomed

DSC03242.jpg

DSC03241.jpg

Daylily

put in the bog last year, first bloom

DSC03258.jpg

lily

first lily bloom of the year

DSC03256.jpg

fire cracker

DSC03260.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love that iris color and my lilies have yet to bloom just leaves and red hot pokers got so big I am going to have to dig them up and i know a couple of my neighbors want some .I just went out and dug up some of the passion flowers for them and they are now on there way home excited to plant them .

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Addy will water irises continue to bloom throughout the summer or do they only bloom once a year?

They look great, like that firecracker plant. It looks tall?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty blooms addy and love the color of that Iris in the first photo!
The water lily has lots of lovely petals,more than some I have seen.
Might have to get some of those firecracker plants. Do they spread like crazy or behave themselves.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy will water irises continue to bloom throughout the summer or do they only bloom once a year?

They look great, like that firecracker plant. It looks tall?

it is around 1.5 to 2 foot tall. The iris, I would assume a spring bloom, but it didn't bloom last year, was just a tiny thing. The stem is covered with buds right now.
The net says spring bloom.

Very pretty blooms addy and love the color of that Iris in the first photo!
The water lily has lots of lovely petals,more than some I have seen.
Might have to get some of those firecracker plants. Do they spread like crazy or behave themselves.

The iris really caught my attention when it opened, different flower, it is a true water iris, needs constant wet.
the firecracker spreads very slowly, sort of like a day lily. Never needs to be divided.
It does have a ton of petals, you should have one come up similar jw, I did send you some starts of it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good than the firecracker can be my friend here. And yes I do believe you sent me some of that water lily and can't wait till they all start blooming. Pads are coming up now so won't be too long. Colleen mentioned the water iris's growing out into the pond surface just floating and I went and noticed mine are starting to do just that. Bet the dark ones you gave me...........was it last year............I think so anyways those should bloom this year and look nice w/ the yellows.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The iris are floating? mine are sticking straight up, even the ones from last year. Maybe mine are all too young, none over a year old.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really pretty addy and the Iris don't really float. They are attached to the root tubers and just keep on adding to that and it just looks like they are floating but they are really tied to the rest of the mother tuber. At least that's what mine are doing. Don't think they could really float unless put in a floating ring which might be kind of neat to do.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The yellow flag will anchor itself to the edge, but once you get a large clump, the whole clump will really float, and the fish will swim under the whole clump. I had a hard time understanding this years ago. My water iris has no pot, no dirt, its just a floating root ball. When your iris gets older you will start to see what I mean. My yellow flag is standing mostly in the deepest part of the middle pond and yes, it really floats. When you grab a chunk with your hand and pull, it will "bob" up and down in the water. If you rip a piece of the plant with the rhizome attached and throw it in the water, you will see that it floats. There is a black koi under the plant, water there is almost three feet. :)

Attachments

• IMAG1103.jpg
    IMAG1103.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 386

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh they really float? Did not know that as am watching mine creep out slowly into the pond water but they are still attached to the side w/ the rooted ones in between the rocks. So some day they will just break away? Wow that is really cool.....an island of Iris!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If I wanted I could float it to the other side of pond, but clump is so large that it stays in place quite nicely, even during the worst winds. I have see a nature show once that showed after a big storm, clumps of iris's growing in the wild that would "drift" to the other side of lake to spread. I gave a very large clump (took two people to move it cause it was so large and heavy) away this spring to one of my friends and now she floats it in her pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so cool Colleen, I can't wait for mine to do that! I wonder how long it takes?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
If you take a small clump that has no soil or pot, and place in the water, it will float, but because the clump is small it is not stable and will be "top heavy" and will fall on its side and float, that why I lodge small clumps in the rocks. The iris should be lodged not to deep in water, I find they like their crowns to be at water level or with one or two inches of water. This yellow flag is 20 years old, one of my first water plants that I purchased, however is has been divided several times over the years. Depending on the iris, some iris will grow faster, and I find that the yellow flag is a very aggressive iris, in three or four years you may start to see it push off the shelf and float. Keep the edge piece anchored so that during a big storm it won't blow over to the other side of pond. This clump that I have has not been divided now for maybe seven or eight years, things so big that I just rip chunks around the edge in spring or fall off and give away, or throw away. When it blooms in a couple weeks or so, you will see so many blooms that its hard to count, maybe over a hundred blooms, blooms only once in the spring, but blooms for maybe two or three weeks or so from first bloom to last. I will post pictures and you will see that during it's peak it will be all yellow on top. :)

Ask a Question