Need a new pump, help???

Reaction score
Hello to all,
I decided to run my pump all winter long and it has finally died on me. It was a cheap one from Menards. Sooooo.......I need advice on a quality pump that can handle about 200-2500 gph for my waterfall(soon to be falls in the spring :banghead3:). I would like to keep the price under $200 but as always, if I have to spend more than so be it. Any and all help appreciated.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
my new pump is a laguna max flo 4200 only uses 160 watts was 180$ on ebay 2345 gph at 8ft head i am more than happy with it

Reaction score
Wayne pumps make an oiless line that are pretty inexpensive. I got one to drain my pond that'll do 3000 gph for $50 on Amazon. They make bigger ones too. the only question mark is durability--pond pumps are made to run 24/7 for years--not sure Wayne's can stand up to that level of use.

Watch for sales, right now. I found a Little Giant 1400 gph for $80 and an Easy Pro 2200 for $100, both on clearance. Check out Webbsonline, AZPonds, Pondliner and even Foster & Smith sometime have good deals. I shop around a lot because one place will have item x on sale and another place item z. Another resource of course is your local pond shops. sometimes they are wanting to decrease inventory or have specials, especially this time of year

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I buy both the Beckett pumps from Home Depot and the cheap ones at Harbor Freight. I run both 24/7 and have had no problems in years of operation.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
home depots around here carry tetra pond pumps. my 1900gal per hour cost $140 has a 3 year warranty, and costs about $12.00 a month to run.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
home depots around here carry tetra pond pumps. my 1900gal per hour cost $140 has a 3 year warranty, and costs about $12.00 a month to run.

thats pretty good...i just use cheap rio 2100s that i have left over from my salt water tanks

Reaction score
thanks for all your responses. i still am debating on what to get, and am now dealing with algae blooms post winter, fun!

Reaction score
I have not used the Easy Pro 2200 that I bought. I had planned to use it as a back up system while I rebuilt the waterfall, but our finances won't allow any major projects like that right now.

So, I'll sell it to you for what I paid $100 + shipping. I can show you the invoice. BTW, I'm running an Easy Pro pump in my waterfall system. They're good pumps.

Rick,
Salem, OR

Reaction score
okay, so now the question is.....how much pump do I need??? I have about a 1300 gallon pond with a total head of about 2.5 ft and a bio falls system as my filter. Can I get away with a 1600 gph pump or should I go with a bigger pump??

Reaction score
:goldfish: I love people who get on forums and ask for advice that's right in front of their noses. Obviously you are somewhat computer literate. Almost every fish / pond website and all pond pump websites have complete explanations of flow and what to consider in terms of water turnover, head, etc. You already know about head so why are you wasting our time.

Do your research. Buy a pump. And if you get a problem that isn't easily researched, then ask for "Help???" Folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful, but I think they expect you to take some responsibility for your own decisions and education.

Reaction score
Look, obviously I am computer literate and as there are an unknown number of choices and then the fact that I've been doing this for, oh say about 8 months, I want advice. I do not want to drop a hundred, two hundred or what ever and then realize that I've wasted my time, money, and my pond health to buy something either cheap or inadequate. sorry for posting on a forum for advice and opinions, sorry if I'm wasting your time and sorry for looking to people who have been doing this longer than me and help me out. Forgive me.:goldfish:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
D&RW said:
Do your research. Buy a pump. And if you get a problem that isn't easily researched, then ask for "Help???" Folks here are very knowledgeable and helpful, but I think they expect you to take some responsibility for your own decisions and education.

There's no need for that D&RW - nigil has obviously done some research on this, but just wants to double check. There's no harm in that!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
absolute minimum turnover is 1 pond volume evey 2 hours, every hour is better, your pump will accomplish that. above that is all cosmetics. its how you want your falls to look. you could use that pump full time and add a second pump for when you want a more dramatic appearence to your falls. depending on how big your biofalls box filter is too.

Reaction score
With respect to the administrator, intention was not to hurt feelings. Adults need to be able to speak honestly and frankly or why bother communicating. The pump for a given pond / waterfall effect is one of the most discussed issues in pond "literature". One could crosscheck 4-5 different sources quickly--take notes, it's a lot of information.

At that point you're looking for consensus, e.g. I'm planning on buying pump A--anyone had problems with it, did it perform as advertised? (I measured the output of one pump I tried and it didn't) If more than one person writes in with issues, then reconsider.

Why does someone write in to a forum and ask for help? Think about it. There are other reasons to write in, e.g. sharing information, discussing projects, outcomes, etc. But to write and hope to engage people to get their assistance is asking for their time and knowledge.

Wasting people's time is not a small matter. Certainly I have done it. Still do it, but I try really hard not to. I am always learning, changed careers X 3 and roles more times than that. I choose to be the novice because I love to learn--but it's often not fun because I get to be the ignorant, neophyte again.

So, I've become very aware of the importance 1) to think before asking, 2) do my research and educate myself to see if I can answer the question myself, 3) cut bait, make a decision, and assume risks at some point and 4) steel myself to the criticism I earn when I fail on 1, 2, or 3.

I go in pond shops and am amazed at the level of questions people ask. You can read the product box and get them answered. Also, at times the salesperson will "hold forth" and give advice that, even in my limited knowledge, is questionable. Might even be wrong--lots of people hold forth as "experts" who are just good at BS, but don't know squat.

To me the pond subject is highly complicated with many, many variables and equally many pitfalls one of which is wasting money on choices that don't turn out. It's the price of getting into a hobby--no guarantees.

So, figure out what you want, what you can spend and do your research. Then, if you can't find answers ask for help. Otherwise, it's really interesting to see your results, hear about your successes and failures and to chat about the topic in general. It's why I'm here.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
My 55 gallon drum bio filter is also my waterfall head. At about 1000 GPH flow, my 1400 gallon pond cycles through every 1.5 hours. Since my bio filter flows from the bottom up to an overflow, it has plenty of time to strip the solids and nitrates from the water. The result is crystal clear water returning to the pond.
If I had a faster flow, the filter would not work as well, it takes time and gravity to do the filtration. I do not have sponges, only cut 1/2" dia tubes 1.5" long and they work fantastic.

Ask a Question