Need help, koi with white eyes

Reaction score
Need some help, first started with goldfish with 1 white eye, acting fine. Then others started getting white eyes, spreading. One goldfish with lump on his head. All within last 2 to 3 days. All water quality negative, have added salt to water at 0.25%. I do water exchange of 150 gallons weekly now in a 2000 gallon pond. Never had any problems before. Pond not heated, have had cold weather last month, water in pond at 35-45 degrees. is 18 inches to 36 inches deep.

Attachments

• SAM_0064.JPG
    SAM_0064.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,265

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
can you give the exact water parameters? PH, ammonia, Nitrite and nitrate being the most important but it would be helpful to have GH KH and salinity if salt is being used.
My first guess is still a water quality issue. Are there rocks or areas in the pond where build up can sit and rot hidden from sight? can you take pictures of the spots on other fish.?
I'm suspecting heavily toward anaerobic bacteria and H2S poisoning, But also Carpox can form during cold weather and has a similar look but I have rarely seen it attack eyes only, usually it looks like white raised patches on the body or fins. This too is primarily caused by deteriorating water conditions brought on by little or no bacteria activity in the bio-chamber of a filter and the waste is just sitting there building up.

Reaction score
PH is 8, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, no rocks in pond. Have a salinity meter that I use to measure with. Normally dont use salt in pond, have biofilter with uv light, 1 4000 gallon pump and a 1500 pump which go year around. Have a bubbler in the center. Have koi, goldfish, and chinese batfin sharks that eat algae. Pond plants that die back in winter and have been trimmed. The patches on the goldfish are raised, and a few white patches on tail. It is dark now, can't get good pictures.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If it is carpox, carpox is a virus that has no true way to cure. But the good part is it usually disappears once water reaches 70+ degrees. rarely does it cause death but it can weaken a koi and secondary infections can. Problem with this is the fact your saying it is spreading as fast as you say it is, Carpox doesn't normally spread like that, It usually only effects one maybe two fish in a pond and it's quite rare for it to hit multiple fish at one time and even more rare for it to attack a specific area on a fish. In most cases of it when I have seen it it was either a patch on the body, or a raised white knot on a fin. BTW, Carpox is actually kind of rare anyway, But it's normally seen during cold water months.

Ask a Question