Need Help with hatching tank PLEASE

Reaction score
Fish are beginning to spawn and I am trying to be ready. Mops are floating in tanks, the smell says they are getting busy.. Does The water in the hatchery need the same parameters as in the other tanks. I will only be running air to the tank in the beginning. Should I take water out of an existing tank which has perfect readings or use my water that I keep for water changes.......

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO THE WATER NEED NOT BE THE SAME. BUT THE PARAMETERS SHOULD BE GOOD. WATER TEMP SHOULD BE 65* - 68* .. WARMER WATERS ALLOW FOR QUICKER HATCHING BUT ALSO MAKE THE POSSIBILTY OF PHYSICAL ANOMOLIES GREATER.

Reaction score
I would not even add air for a week or two but that's just me. I have had fish have their backs broken because if current from a filter and I imagine air could do the same. Or if you really want to do air, keep it to a minimum.

Someone might disagree. I guess read around and see what the consensus is.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
keep a watch on your ammonia it will be going up fast after the spawn
i run a sm 900 gph pump with a large screen cage around it from day one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
When I set up a bucket for hatching last Summer, I tapped a 1/4" line from my main pumps to feed a trickle of water into the bucket, then I used a drain pipe with some open-cell foam shoved in it to return the excess water back to the pond. I ended up with a system that would replentish the water in the bucket maybe 2-3 times a day. There was never any danger is having too strong a current, nor in ammonia build-up. I think the only problem I had was in not feeding the hatchlings enough food... most of them simply ate each other.

Ask a Question